1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie needs advise.....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jen4, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    Newbie here....
    I will be getting baby chicks in the next couple of weeks/months. Trying to learn all I can before I get them. My uncle is ordering them for me [​IMG]
    From what I've read they will be inside for alittle while. So what all do I need........ I've got soooo much to learn. Usually how long do they stay inside. We havent built a chicken house yet, trying to wait for it to get alittle warmer. So when do you think would be the best time to order them?

Thanks for your help.... need all I can get. [​IMG]

2. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    If you will look at the veeery tippy top of this page you will see a link to the BYC Learning Center. Look around there, I'm sure most of your questions will be answered. If not, post again, we'd be glad to help.

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
  4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
  5. Jen4

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    Thanks everyone...

Miss_jayne - Hi. I'm very excited... I want them NOW! lol I really dont know what kind I am getting... been trying to figure that one out too! lol There are so many and this is all new to me. I just dont know where to start? My uncle asked me if I would just like him to surprise me.... so maybe I'll just let him and go from there. I want some for eggs of course and when I'm up to it, to eat and I know I'll have some for pets too [​IMG] My uncle told me he is ordering 20 hens and 2 or 3 roos from Ideal Poultry I do believe... hes likes them and has ordered from them in the past.

Going to go read..........

6. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    [​IMG]

Be careful what you wish for!!! Soon, you will be addicted like the rest of us...must have more chickens....must hatch eggs..LOL!

Good luck! At least you have plenty of time to read up on what to expect. And, you will get some great information from this site! Everyone is soooo helpful!

7. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    i just got the Ideal catalog for 2009. have you scanned this chart for ideas?
    http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

you've got to be geeked out of your mind! [​IMG]

i have done the Assorted Chicks before from Ideal and got a nice selection, even at the end of the season. (RIR prod's, Barred Rocks and Black Sex-Links). they are going on 6 weeks old this week and are doing great. also ordered Buff Orps, Black Aust's with them. all of them are growing very well, no losses.

best wishes!

8. Jen4

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    I just read the information... very helpful!

Hatchaholic - Its too late I'm already there!!!! I have been waiting at least a year for this to happen, I had to stop coming here the end of last year cause I could stand it, looking at everyones chickens.... lol I wanted my own! But it wont be much longer now [​IMG] I already know it wont stop at 23 chicks.......... my husbands going to shoot me [​IMG]

miss_jayne - I'll check it out [​IMG] and 6 week old little babies awwww

9. RedTailRanch

RedTailRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Portland, OR
    My Coop
    Everyone is right, there is a TON of great info on here. I am new to chickens as of last March, but I started reading stuff on BYC months before that because I was already addicted even before the chicks arrived!

I also went to the bookstore (or you could go to the library) and got several books on different breeds, and on raising chickens. ALL of it became addicting.

I just hatched out my first babies yesterday and was up until 2 a.m. re-reading all my books on chickens.

Beware...you will become one of us. Resistance is futile! LOL

I'm thinking of starting a hatch-a-holics anonymous group on here!

10. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Jen4!

I am new to chickens myself. Got my first 3 last May. Thanks to the bunch of enablers on here, I just hatched out my first batch of eggs this past Tuesday! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by