Newbie needs advise!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chookasaurus, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Chookasaurus

Chookasaurus New Egg

Dec 7, 2013
    Hi

I am new to this forum. I was hoping someone could advise me on the best chicken breed for me.

I have limited space (4x2 run with coop inside the run) and they will be able to free range our average suburban backyard for an hour or 2 a few times a week (only when I can supervise as I have dogs and also gardens that I really don't want destroyed!).

I want friendly girls who will tolerate handling by myself and my small son. I also want eggs, not like egg a day type production but at least a few a week. Also important is a long laying life - so that rules out ISAs and other hybrids.

So, what breed would best suit my space and requirements, and how many do you think I could house in my limited space?

I am open to bantams but nothing that lays too tiny an egg.

I've been recommended barnevelders, wyandotte bantams, Plymouth rocks and silkies.

Thanks!

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    [​IMG] im trying to get this picture right. you have 2 by 4 ft. total? including the run?

3. Chookasaurus

Chookasaurus New Egg

Dec 7, 2013
    Sorry, 2x4 meter (no ft) run with a coop inside it. They'll be locked in the coop overnight for safety , have access to the run through the day and then be allowed to roam the garden every couple days.

4. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    well, i dont know how big that is. silkies are the utmost, gentlest chickens i know but, any chick you hand raise and feed can become a pet

5. Chookasaurus

Chookasaurus New Egg

Dec 7, 2013
    It's 4 meters by 2 meters, so 8m squared total.

6. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i asked someone to do the math and if it is correct it is 84 square ft. or 6 by 12 ft. so if someone with large feet walked it toe to toe would you get 6 feet in one way and 12 the other? if that is the case you have lots of room for say 6 large or 8 bantam chickens at the least.

7. Chookasaurus

Chookasaurus New Egg

Dec 7, 2013
    That sounds about right, 6x12 ft.

Would that many be ok even though they'll only free range occasionally?

Thanks for your help! :D

8. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    yes, that would be good. some recommend 3 square 2 for bantam some recommend 5 divide your 85 into 5 you still have 15 but you dont want to spend every day cleaning or you wont have time to enjoy them. might i recommend the polish? if they are not free ranging, no problems and very interesting birds calm but flighty because they cant see well

9. Chookasaurus

Chookasaurus New Egg

Dec 7, 2013
    I will look into the polish, thank u!!

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Silkies are generally a very docile breed but, they are not reliable layers. They tend to go broody often (meaning hatching eggs and caring for the babies) - people use them as living incubators. Generally people buy fertile eggs of various breeds they desire and put them under a broody silky hen who will hatch and raise them.

They are also a breed you usually see kids dressing up with hats and scarves etc , or pushing in a baby stroller. Cochins and buff orpingtons are good choices as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by