Newbie needs advise!

Chookasaurus

Hatching
6 Years
Dec 7, 2013
Hi

I am new to this forum. I was hoping someone could advise me on the best chicken breed for me.

I have limited space (4x2 run with coop inside the run) and they will be able to free range our average suburban backyard for an hour or 2 a few times a week (only when I can supervise as I have dogs and also gardens that I really don't want destroyed!).

I want friendly girls who will tolerate handling by myself and my small son. I also want eggs, not like egg a day type production but at least a few a week. Also important is a long laying life - so that rules out ISAs and other hybrids.

So, what breed would best suit my space and requirements, and how many do you think I could house in my limited space?

I am open to bantams but nothing that lays too tiny an egg.

I've been recommended barnevelders, wyandotte bantams, Plymouth rocks and silkies.

Thanks!

welcome-byc.gif
im trying to get this picture right. you have 2 by 4 ft. total? including the run?

Sorry, 2x4 meter (no ft) run with a coop inside it. They'll be locked in the coop overnight for safety , have access to the run through the day and then be allowed to roam the garden every couple days.

well, i dont know how big that is. silkies are the utmost, gentlest chickens i know but, any chick you hand raise and feed can become a pet

i asked someone to do the math and if it is correct it is 84 square ft. or 6 by 12 ft. so if someone with large feet walked it toe to toe would you get 6 feet in one way and 12 the other? if that is the case you have lots of room for say 6 large or 8 bantam chickens at the least.

That sounds about right, 6x12 ft.

Would that many be ok even though they'll only free range occasionally?

Thanks for your help! :D

yes, that would be good. some recommend 3 square 2 for bantam some recommend 5 divide your 85 into 5 you still have 15 but you dont want to spend every day cleaning or you wont have time to enjoy them. might i recommend the polish? if they are not free ranging, no problems and very interesting birds calm but flighty because they cant see well

Silkies are generally a very docile breed but, they are not reliable layers. They tend to go broody often (meaning hatching eggs and caring for the babies) - people use them as living incubators. Generally people buy fertile eggs of various breeds they desire and put them under a broody silky hen who will hatch and raise them.

They are also a breed you usually see kids dressing up with hats and scarves etc , or pushing in a baby stroller. Cochins and buff orpingtons are good choices as well.

Back
Top Bottom