1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie needs clarification on egg carton hatch!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fernandez0067, Apr 13, 2009.

1. fernandez0067

fernandez0067 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Schenectady
    If I wanted to try this method for my next batch, do I leave the eggs in the carton through the whole incubation or just on day 18?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I have mine in a turner the first 18 days and then move them into the cartons on day 19. If you're not using a turner I know some people keep them in the cartons for the first 18 days too...I've just never done it that way.

3. fernandez0067

Dec 2, 2008
    Schenectady
    Do people keep them in there with the pointy end down and then just roll them from one side to another?

4. Bil

Bil Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
    I don't have a turner in my incubator so I start out with my eggs pointy end down in cartons from day 1. To turn the eggs, I place a wedge under once side of the carton so it is at about a 45ยบ angle and then to turn them I switch the wedge to the other side so they are leaning the other way. Takes about 10 seconds to turn 18 eggs.

Bil

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Good one Bil! I do use a wedge under the incubator so I dont have to open the bator at all except to put in sponges or refill the bowls (you dont want to fill all the way up because it would seep out).

That would work good when one dont have a turner or the turner went out like mine did.

6. fernandez0067

Dec 2, 2008
    Schenectady
    Good Ideas, Thanks!

7. peaceful

peaceful Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    BC Canada
    If you use cartons put the eggs with the pointy end down for the first 18 days and then on day 18 adjust the eggs so that they are on their sides and leave them like that until hatch, maybe now resting in carton tops rather than carton bottoms at this point (day 18 on) because they provide a flatter base.

8. fernandez0067

Dec 2, 2008
    Schenectady
    I am going to try this whole egg carton - bator wedge turning contraption. I lost all of the chicks in my last batch probably from opening the bator too much, temp, etc. I dont want to spend the money on a turner so I will try this so I have NO excuses on opening it! Except to add water of course.

So basically-- the eggs fit in the carton somewhat snug, and by wedging the bator 45 degrees it lets gravity do the work?

I should be getting my new eggs I bought from the BST tomorrow or Thursday, so they should go in the bator Thursday or Friday.

Ill keep you guys updated on how it turns out!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by