Newbie needs help- All my chicks are sick! (and dying...)

Avenite

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 1, 2011
Just want to say that although I've kept birds for the last 10 years- they've never been chickens. Now I think I'm in over my head!

Yesterday I put all the chicks out as per usual, it's a 10x10 covered enclosure in the middle of the garden. No pesticides or anything like that in the area. I had to go out, and they didn't get put back in on time. (Silly family, but no use crying over spilt milk) So they were out late and it did get a little chilly. (75*F) I put them in, and I noticed one had an unusual crop. (very full and watery) My 'hey that's not right' senses kicked in, so that one came in and got put under a heat lamp for the night. The others got their usual food and water, the 'sick' bird got electrolytes in hers. She had no interest in food, and because her crop felt like my cockatiels did when he had sour crop I decided take food away for the night.

This morning I checked on the sick chick; she still had a very full, watery crop and was very lethargic. After poking about on the Internet I decided to try giving her yogurt and put a bit of ACV in her water. As of now she's looking a little perkier, but no real change in the crop.

When I went out to feed the others I found one chick dead! This one had a half full crop that was hard- but it also looks like it had passed very early in the night. (from the looks of the body) At first check they were all a little too calm. Not really lethargic, on any other day I probably wouldn't worry about it. I gave them all yogurt and switched water to electrolytes and put up a heat lamp on one end of the run. As of now (an hour or so later) They look just a I found them this morning, Eating and drinking fine but lethargic. One of them was looking more 'off' then the others so she is now also in a 'hospital'

Went 'poop hunting, - the first bird has watery poop, everyone else looks normal. I keep everything as clean as humanly possible and haven't gone to any other farms in months. (and am careful!)

Sorry that's an essay, I'm just really worried! I have no idea what's wrong. If anyone has any suggestions as to what I can do, or what may be wrong, I'm open to everything.

I'm also wondering if there's an antibiotic or something I should pick up or ask the vet for? (for those who are wondering I did contact some of the local vets. In this area the general consensus was 'you can pick up some more in a few weeks, just clean everything in between)

Last edited:
Did the vets infer if your chicks die you could "just pick up some more"? What the...? Nice bedside manner.

I think what you're doing is right on...keep them warm, electros and ACV. I would just go and get a cocci med, just in case. Cocci doesn't always present with bloody stools, just sometimes being a little off can mean their gut isn't happy.

Good luck!

I'm sorry your chicks are sick! How old are they? Hopefully they will get better soon. Good luck!

How old are the chicks?
What feed do they get?
What kind of plants are they exposed to, and for how long?
What kind of bedding?

As far as the vet, well, that was a callous statement, but some see chickens as pets and some see chickens as livestock.
hmm.png

ReikiStar- I didn't know that! guess I'll pick some up today. I hope the people at the feed store will know what I'm talking about?

Seminolewind- Would bad food kill a chick that quickly? I opened a new bag about two weeks ago and store them in airtight containers.

ranch hand- They are 1 month old Minorcas, They get 'Countryside Natruals' Chick starter. Free access all the time, changed daily. In their run is a mix of fescue and smooth crabgrass, as well as the occasional dandelion and plantain. They're outside for 5 hours a day on average, yesterday was a more like 8 or 9. The coop is bedded with pine shavings.

Just lost the first one that I had taken aside. I did find one type of antibiotic at the store, Sulmet? It says to treat for 2 days. Everyone else is looking reasonably healthy though- can the treatment be detrimental to healthy birds?

ETA: Not all looking healthy- one more is starting to get all "puffy" is there any point in taking her aside if they're all infected??

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes, it would be that fast if the feed was bad. It could have been bad before you bought it.
I think you should treat with Sulmet. It's very easy for a chick to get coccidiosis, it's in the ground. Tossing the feed and treating for cocci would be the first things I would do because to me it would be most likely. I don't think 75 degrees and access to water is bad, I don't think it would do any harm. Since they are not having respiratory symptoms, I would not treat with a respiratory antibiotic. And if you can, offer them mush made with chick feed, chicks love it. If sulmet and new feed doesn't work, I would rather someone else throw some ideas in here.
I personally would treat everyone.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are on the right track. Treat for cocci. Someone once told me that if they won't drink the medicated water try putting some sugar in it. Works for me mine love it. It gives them a temporary boost of energy but that might be just what they need to keep eating and drinking. Good luck!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom