newbie needs help please...dont know what yo do with surviving check from damaged egg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by janda0923, Aug 26, 2013.

1. janda0923

janda0923 New Egg

Aug 26, 2013
    hi. I'm new here...i have used this as a very helpful guide since my husband and i decided to have a few chickens as a hobby. not our original intentions but we have been hatching chicks for the last week(2nd hen laid additional eggs under our brood hen) we're at the end of our wait period...the remaining eggs should have hatched today...when I went to check...there was a damaged egg in the nest...cracked several places all over. I assumed it was lost and after getting our other chicks situated, I went to remove the damaged egg. Well...it moved and cherped at me...there was no pip hole and worried that if I didn't intervene I would assist in its loss...I pulled some of the shell from the top away from its head. Its been approximately 5 hours and I still have a breathing chick but I dont know what to expect or do at this point. Someone please help me...I don't want to hurt the little thing....

Also...I have it under a lamp..not hit just slightly warm but I don't have an incubator because again...this was not our original intention and we decided to let the hen do all the work.

2. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
  3. janda0923

janda0923 New Egg

Aug 26, 2013
    The click has been moving some and the egg is all but gone and what I have is a small and appears to be sleeping chick. I've read the article you referred but I'm unsure where my situation applies. I've been reading some other posts about assisted hatching and I'm concerned about the humidity/ wet situation. Again its still breathing,moving, and cherping but I don't want it to be suffering if I should be doing something else. I would have left it with my hen but she hurt her foot today and she hopping and I was afraid she would hurt it. The membrane was white under the shell and there is only very little of what I'm assuming is the yolk sack that was not absorbed(less than a 1/4 inch) so I'm hopeful but lost all the same. Thanks for all of your help.

4. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    is there any yolk outside of the chick? also check to make sure its not bleeding around its butt. if both answers are no, put it back under the hen.

i guess i missread, i thought the chick was still partially in the egg.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  5. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    sorry, im taking care of my granddaughter and helping you at the same time, im a bit distracted.

keep the chick warm 99 or so degrees until the yolk sack absorbs fully. when its absorbed you can put it back under the hen

if by chance the chick doesnt make it, dont be to hard on yourself. it may have other problems as mentioned before.

6. janda0923

janda0923 New Egg

Aug 26, 2013
    It started out partially in the egg but has since come out of the egg from moving. There is a very small price of what I assume is yolk outside of the chick. Small = < 1/8-1/4 in. No bleeding. The hen was not on the nest the last time I checked on her she was hovered over her chicks on the floor of the coop.

7. janda0923

janda0923 New Egg

Aug 26, 2013
    There has been a lot more movement from it in the last hour but I can't tell if the breathing is normal or stressed

8. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    when the yolk is absorbed, she will be able to take by far better care of it than we can as humans. keep the yolk sack damp but not wet until it absorbs. keep the chick warm... thats about all you can do for it. some people do say to put neosporin or similar ointment on it, i never have but i always leave mine in the incubator if the yolk is showing.

9. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    im guessing its just tired from trying to hatch..... look at the tip of its top beak for a little bump or "egg tooth" if this chick by chance doesnt have it, you probably shouldnt breed it later on.

10. janda0923

janda0923 New Egg

Aug 26, 2013
    I think I see the little "tooth" . I'm not sure it the lamp and or thermometer I'm using are up to snuff...is a heating pad on the lowest setting (warm is below low) OK...I didn't want to try without asking thanks again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by