1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie needs help...Rectal Prolapse?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by seahorseys, Jul 11, 2011.

1. seahorseys

seahorseys New Egg

Jul 11, 2011
    I have just gotten into chickens...and recently purchased 9 americauna hens. They are about 3 weeks old. Unfortunately, on Friday, three adventurous chicks escaped their brooder. Two were captured and safely returned to the box. One got pounced on by my playful shi tzu. She seemed shaken up but initially ok. However, after a careful inspection I noticed that the chick had a small 4mm skin tear behind one of her wings, and worse, a small pink bubble protruding out of her vent the size of a gumdrop. I isolated her, and attempted to push it back in with a Q-tip and some lube, but it kept popping out every time she went to the bathroom. I have kept it very clean, using preparation H and running her bottom under warm water from the faucet. She is pooping, eating, and drinking normally. She is not as active as the others now, but I imagine she is uncomfortable. She doesn't appear to be in pain.

The odd thing is, the protrusion seems to be drying and shriveling up. It has turned a black color, similar to a babies umblical cord. I really don't know what I should do, but I am happy to be be approaching the fourth day since the occurence and she seems to be doing alright. Can anyone provide any additional information or advice?

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by