Newbie Needs Help w/ Gender PLEASE

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dee88, Jul 11, 2010.

1. dee88

dee88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas
    Here are some pics of my 5 new chickens I believe to be 10-11 weeks old. I think they are all pullets but not sure about the EE and the RIR. Any Ideas? Please also confirm the BO and the 2 BR's are pullets. Thanks so much!

Group of all 5 shown here:
    [​IMG]
    1. This is the Rhode Island Red from the back:
    [​IMG]
    2. Top view of Easter Egger Notice the lack of comb. Girl?
    [​IMG]
    3. Side view of RIR:
    [​IMG]
    4. My sweet barred rock from the front:
    [​IMG]
    5. Rhode Island Red from the side:
    [​IMG]
    6. Buff Orpington from the side. She looks like a girly girl
    [​IMG]
    7. Easter Egger from the side: This one confuses me because he/she has a small comb but LOTS of back feathers
    [​IMG]
    8. Barred Rock from the side, this is a pullet for sure, right?
    [​IMG]
    9. Another pic of the BO from the front:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for your help!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. smarsh2

smarsh2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    all pullets for sure, look healthy too

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

You got yourself a nice bunch o' girls! Congrats!

(EEs are hard, and RIRs are tough too, because they look so rooish due to the black tail feathers they're SUPPOSED to have.)

4. dee88

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas
    OMG, I'm so glad!!! Since I'm new to raising chickens, I want to start out slow and work my way up. 1 rooster might be okay so we can have a few chicks a little later but not right now!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

5. bella1210

bella1210 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    ct
    all girls i think:weee

6. dee88

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas
    Anyone think any roosters here? I got them from the local feed store and I picked them out from about 50 chicks!!! They were suppose to have been about a week old. I am soooo excited about having the chickens and I think I'm really going to enjoy them! They really do seem easy to keep, feed, etc. My family went to Big Bend for a week and came back to find them in good shape, still plenty of water and food. My hubby is using hardware cloth today to close off the spaces in the coop. Some spaces were up to 3". I was so worried about them while on vacation but I'm glad they're okay! Here's a pic of the coop that was built over a swing set frame. We have the run & coop covered with a metal roof and the back of the coop closes off with big doors at night. There's a shelf and a closet rod for their roost in the very back, see it? I think it's going to work. Thanks again, everyone!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. ekemily

ekemily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    [​IMG]
    They look like pullets to me. However, sometimes it's hard to tell on your EE until it's older.
    Also, I have never had problems with chicken wire, but most everyone on here would say that predators can get through it.

8. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    look like all girls to me! Especially the EE and Barred Rocks, those are for sure girls. Your EE looks very similar to my girl.

9. SmittenChicken

SmittenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    They all look like beautiful girls to me! I have an EE that looks just like yours [​IMG]

10. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    All look like pullets to me also, lovely girls and love your set up, enjoy! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by