Newbie Needs Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aussiepearlgirl, May 19, 2011.

1. aussiepearlgirl

aussiepearlgirl Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    I have two chooks - one rhode red and one black that looks the same as the red except for the colour.. they are the cheapest chooks i could buy at the produce barn and i'm not overly sure what you call the plain black one..

Anyways.. about 2.5 months ago the black one got broody and stopped laying eggs.. she got over it almost on her own (i put a black marble egg where she was sitting so that she would think that her egg went cold) and since then she hasn't been herself, and i am now worried something is wrong.

She hasn't laid an egg for about 2.5 months, she is pulling all her feathers out on her belly, her comb (is that what the red thing is called on their heads?) is pale. She sometimes won't poop for half a day then do a massive one, then later in the day she poops runny. Sometimes it's got mucus in it (clear). She also has a dirty bottom all the time. I thought she may have been egg bound (she's not). She also disappeared for two days and came home and was rather dehydrated. She sat for a few days just drinking water and resting. Aside from that she runs around the yard with the red one.

I have also checked her belly for patches or lines and there's nothing there. No redness either.

I have changed their food from the laying seed mash to the pellets.. is one better than the other? I also feed them food scraps from the kitchen..

I'm not sure i've covered everything here, but any help would be appreciated.

thanks for your time <3

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    It sounds like she is just waiting for a chance to go broody again. All of what you are listing as her issues (except for the dehydration) are signs of broody behavior- not laying, pulling out belly feathers, pale comb, huge poops. All present in a broody hen.

3. aussiepearlgirl

aussiepearlgirl Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    Oh great!! That's a relief! Thank you [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by