newbie pasty butt question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickengirl1193, Jan 3, 2014.

1. chickengirl1193

chickengirl1193 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2013
    north Jersey
    hello! this is my first time raising chicks, i have some older chickens outside tho. my chicks hatched on new years day and incubated them myself. I'm giving probiotics and electrolytes and I noticed some of them have a little poop stuck to their feathers and im not sure if it's the beginning of pasty butt or they are just a little dirty. they are all running around eating and drinking!

2. Stewarts

Stewarts Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    PEI, Canada
    If you notice poop sticking to a chicks vent, take a soft cloth and warm water and gently wash it off. Do this will all who have this. Mix plain, unflavored yogurt and chick starter into a semi-dry mash and feed it to them. It gives them the bacteria they need and I found it helped a lot with pasty butt. This is a serious issue because a chick can become stopped up and it could kill them. Good luck.

3. chickengirl1193

Oct 12, 2013
    north Jersey
    okay thank you!

4. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    It's hard to mistake pasty butt when you see it. Clumps of poo cling to the area around the vent, partially or completely obstructing it from view. If you can still see the vent clearly, the chick just has a dirty bum. You can wipe it clean if you want to be on the safe side, but I would only be concerned if there are actual globs of poop directly under or covering the vent.

A quick google search for "pasty butt on chicks" will show you exactly what the condition looks like and give you a better idea of when you need to be concerned for the health of your chicks. You are right to take it seriously--pasty butt kills, and we lost a chick this spring to the condition because we didn't spot it in time.

5. chickengirl1193

Oct 12, 2013
    north Jersey
    okay thank you! I saw it poop a few times so its not blocked up. thanks for the info!

6. LeenaB

LeenaB Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2013
    If you put some mineral oil on the vent area after cleaning it will help prevent the poo from sticking. Last year I lost one chick to pasty butt. The last two hatches no one has been lost yet. Just make sure it's mineral oil without anything else added.

7. chickengirl1193

Oct 12, 2013
    north Jersey
    okay thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by