NEWBIE - please forgive me if this is in here somewhere - SICK CHICK

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Scottieinboca, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Scottieinboca

Scottieinboca New Egg

Oct 22, 2011
    We picked up three silkies yesterday.

Two are fine and seem to be thriving.

One seems to be struggling. He can't seem to keep his balance. He keeps "hiccuping" and seems to (possibly) be having trouble breathing. He does not seem to want to eat or drink. I keep finding him in the corner and on his back.

We have separated him from the others and tried feeding him by "finger."

A bit worried about our little one, found you on the internet, and hoped someone could provide some help and advice.

No chicken experience, although long experience with many other avians.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Feel free to post back or contact me directly at [email protected]

Thank you all in advance,

Scottie

2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    How old is the bird? Did the symptoms start suddenly? Has it been walking ok? Provide as much info as possible and you are more likely to get helpful responses. I have asked the moderators to move this to the emergencies section for you.

3. basslady

basslady Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2011
    Hi, I just picked up five chicks on Thursday and one is not doing to well, kind of like yours. I dip her beak in the water and the feed every couple of hours and that seems to be helping a bit. I went out a little while ago and ran a string of rope lights around the basket I have them in, went back a little later and they all seemed to be running around more. I have not had chickens in over 35 years so all I remember is the hens used to do all of the work for me LOL. I am going back out right now to see if they are all doing well.

Barb

4. Scottieinboca

Scottieinboca New Egg

Oct 22, 2011
    Chick seems to be less than a week old - the woman we got them from had many in the same incubator and was not clear on the ages.

He was fine last night when we got him and brought him home.

He gets up and walks, but seems unsteady on his feet.

It was hard to tell, but it seemed like the other chicks were picking on him.

He did fall into the waterer last night for a couple of minutes. We found him pretty quick, dried him off, and got him warmed up before putting him back in the incubator.

Tonight e separated him from the others and continued to try to feed him.

He had a little of the chick starter food, mixed with water, but is not eating (or acting) like the others.

Is there a way to post video - or an address of someone with some expertise where I can forward one?

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Scottie

5. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:Have you noticed any odd neck movement? Is it on medicated chick starter?

Do you hear any rattles or other noise as it breathes? Nasal discharge?

You will be able to post pics soon. I am not sure if a mod could clear you to post early or not.

6. Scottieinboca

Scottieinboca New Egg

Oct 22, 2011
    He is laying on his belly.

He almost looks like he is throwing up, extending his neck forward as he heaves / hiccups.

Not sure about the food, we are still on the bag of "chick starter" the breeder gave us.

No discharge, no sounds while he is breathing (that I can hear).

The other chicks are up and about, eating and drinking "normally."

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  7. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:Can you answer the rest of the questions? I am trying to figure out if you are dealing with wry neck or water aspiration.
    Is the chick starter in the original bag? If so, see if it says "medicated" on it.

8. Scottieinboca

Scottieinboca New Egg

Oct 22, 2011
    Sorry - went back to answer the rest of the questions - hope the edit came up.

Not sure about the food, we are still on the bag of "chick starter" the breeder gave us. Food is just in a baggie - so, no idea if it is medicated or not.

No discharge, no sounds while he is breathing (that I can hear).

The other chicks are up and about, eating and drinking "normally."

He seems smaller - possibly younger - than the others.

Scottie

9. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    OK, let's go with wry neck. Do you have any chicken vitamins already? If not, you can get Polyvisol without iron (human infant vitamins) at almost any pharmacy or grocery store. You are going to need to give it 1 or 2 drops twice a day (start with 2 for the first dose). Feed it scrambled egg (add a bit of yogurt if you have it), skip the feed for a day or two or buy unmedicated starter. Give electrolytes from the feed store or unflavored Pedialyte (no sugar or sweeteners) if it is not drinking much (Gatoraid will work right now if you have it but only give it a couple of times).

Treatment should start ASAP because chicks can go downhill fast.

10. Scottieinboca

Scottieinboca New Egg

Oct 22, 2011
    when i hold him up to my ear, there is a slight clicking sound in conjunction with the "hiccuping"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by