Newbie Post

Littlejojo

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 22, 2013
We just moved backed to our home state of Oregon from Montana, and are looking forward to raising chickens again. We are mainly interested in chickens that lay eggs, although we hope to have a few smaller breeds (Banty?) and some ducks, geese, and turkeys. We live in rural Oregon....about 20 miles east of the coast. There is plenty of room for the birds, and there are no restrictions on what we can raise, as far as zoning or any other ordinances.
When we lived in Oregon, several years ago, we would just buy chicks from the local grange, place them under heat lamps, and eventually place them in our chicken coop. I honestly can't tell you what breeds we had, or what we did. They always seemed to do well, and laid plenty of eggs. We just kept them clean and safe, and once in awhile let them sit on a nest and raise baby chicks.
Since I can't even remember the names of the breeds of our chickens, I was so excited to find out about BYC and hopefully gain some information.
If anyone has any pointers or places I should check out on this forum, please let me know. I have missed the morning excursions to the chicken coop, and the laughs that the chickens brought me. One thing I haven't missed is the inevitable nasty rooster that comes up from behind and pecks and spurs from the invisible unknown.

Glad to be part of this community, and am definitely looking forward to gleaning knowledge from everyone. Hopefully, we will be able to share our knowledge (or lack of) in the near future.

Greetings from Kansas, Littlejojo, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you here! Happy you are re-entering the world of chickens. There are so many great breeds out there from which to choose. I have a mixed flock with 11 different breeds. I love the different looks, personalities, temperaments, and egg colors. Have a look at the Breeds link below - you can refine your search for your own personal preferences. Best of luck to you!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds

Back
Top Bottom