Newbie Post

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Littlejojo, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Littlejojo

Littlejojo New Egg

Jan 22, 2013
    We just moved backed to our home state of Oregon from Montana, and are looking forward to raising chickens again. We are mainly interested in chickens that lay eggs, although we hope to have a few smaller breeds (Banty?) and some ducks, geese, and turkeys. We live in rural Oregon....about 20 miles east of the coast. There is plenty of room for the birds, and there are no restrictions on what we can raise, as far as zoning or any other ordinances.
    When we lived in Oregon, several years ago, we would just buy chicks from the local grange, place them under heat lamps, and eventually place them in our chicken coop. I honestly can't tell you what breeds we had, or what we did. They always seemed to do well, and laid plenty of eggs. We just kept them clean and safe, and once in awhile let them sit on a nest and raise baby chicks.
    Since I can't even remember the names of the breeds of our chickens, I was so excited to find out about BYC and hopefully gain some information.
    If anyone has any pointers or places I should check out on this forum, please let me know. I have missed the morning excursions to the chicken coop, and the laughs that the chickens brought me. One thing I haven't missed is the inevitable nasty rooster that comes up from behind and pecks and spurs from the invisible unknown.

Glad to be part of this community, and am definitely looking forward to gleaning knowledge from everyone. Hopefully, we will be able to share our knowledge (or lack of) in the near future.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Littlejojo, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here! Happy you are re-entering the world of chickens. There are so many great breeds out there from which to choose. I have a mixed flock with 11 different breeds. I love the different looks, personalities, temperaments, and egg colors. Have a look at the Breeds link below - you can refine your search for your own personal preferences. Best of luck to you!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

4. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Welcome to BYC!!! Glad you joined.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Congratulations on the move and good luck with starting a new flock. Welcome to BYC.

6. chickenpooplady

chickenpooplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Ohio
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from Highland County Ohio and God Bless!!!

7. what's kickin' chicken

what's kickin' chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Missouri
    [​IMG]Hello [​IMG]

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!!!

9. 4-H chicken mom