Newbie poster, we got our chicks today

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pluckycluck, May 8, 2008.

1. pluckycluck

pluckycluck New Egg

Apr 27, 2008
    This is my first post on the board but I've been reading everything for almost 3 weeks now. I thought we were going to get juvenile chickens from a friend but she changed her mind and decided she couldn't part with any so, did some more reading on baby chicks and got ready for that. I had read so much about Buff Orppingtons I thought that's what I would try to get. Dual purpose, but I really just want eggs mostly. And friendly and calm. Local feed shop just got a shipment in so I chose four and got a Brahma and a Cochin for fun. My daughters immediately adopted those (that was the plan, shhh) and they are settling in nicely. It was funny watching them bliss out under the heat lamp when I tucked them into my homemade brooder. Temp is holding steady at 95. They're in the garage so I keep popping out to check on them but they're happy.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We were working on the coop last week but still need to finish the run. The previous homeowner allowed his chickens to run free but that's not really a good idea here what with the road so close and so many wild predators around. So, hopefully we are giving them plenty of room in the run.
    [​IMG]

This is my family's first farm experience, but I had chickens long ago when I was little. I don't remember very much of the details of chicks but I do remember the joy of finding the eggs. My sister and I raised chickens, rabbits and goats. I'm looking forward to sharing this with my girls.

Alice
    Love this forum, I'm hooked on reading and get lost when I'm supposed to be doing other things. Whoops!

2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Congratulations on the new little ones. [​IMG] Wish the pics were showing up (looks like you may have just forgot the image tags?). [​IMG] Welcome to the wonderful world of chicken addiction!!!!!

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  3. pluckycluck

pluckycluck New Egg

Apr 27, 2008
    I got the IMG tags but didn't quite get the link correct. Fixed that but ended up posting twice, but now I know where the edit button is so next time will be easier.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by