Newbie poster, we got our chicks today

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pluckycluck, May 8, 2008.

1. pluckycluck

pluckycluck New Egg

Apr 27, 2008
    This is my first post on the board but I've been reading everything for almost 3 weeks now. I thought we were going to get juvenile chickens from a friend but she changed her mind and decided she couldn't part with any so, did some more reading on baby chicks and got ready for that. I had read so much about Buff Orppingtons I thought that's what I would try to get. Dual purpose, but I really just want eggs mostly. And friendly and calm. Local feed shop just got a shipment in so I chose four and got a Brahma and a Cochin for fun. My daughters immediately adopted those (that was the plan, shhh) and they are settling in nicely. It was funny watching them bliss out under the heat lamp when I tucked them into my homemade brooder. Temp is holding steady at 95. They're in the garage so I keep popping out to check on them but they're happy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We were working on the coop last week but still need to finish the run. The previous homeowner allowed his chickens to run free but that's not really a good idea here what with the road so close and so many wild predators around. So, hopefully we are giving them plenty of room in the run.
    [​IMG]

This is my family's first farm experience, but I had chickens long ago when I was little. I don't remember very much of the details of chicks but I do remember the joy of finding the eggs. My sister and I raised chickens, rabbits and goats. I'm looking forward to sharing this with my girls.

Alice
    Love this forum, I'm hooked on reading and get lost when I'm supposed to be doing other things. Whoops!

2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Awwww.....they are just precious!!!! I know you are going to enjoy them.

3. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    Welcome to the group. Good luck with your chickies.

4. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    LOL, I had the same 'giant thermometer' thing going on in my brooder too! Now I just check once in a while.

5. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    They are great.

6. pluckycluck

pluckycluck New Egg

Apr 27, 2008
    My little babies came home in a cardboard box where they stayed for about an hour while I set the brooder up in the garage and warmed it up. My girls got acquainted with their favorites. Rachel (16) adopted the Cochin, Elizabeth (22) chose the Brahma. I thought it would be the other way around. My husband grew up in New Haven CT, so he has never had any animals other than a dog. This is all new to my family. That's more fun to me, to be able to share with them what I grew up with. Jim went out to the garage this morning at around 4 am before work to check them.
    When I put them in, they immediately quieted and sank down to the bottom with almost audible "Ahhhh!"s and soaked up the warmth. It reminded me about one of the posters being worried that her chickens had died the first day she put them outside and all they were doing was sunbathing. [​IMG][​IMG]

I've been dying to participate here on the forum, but I kind of waited for our chickens first. All my questions have been answered by all the wonderful post about aany conceivable situation.
    Thanks for the welcome.

Alice
    Pluckycluck is really Liz's handle- I need to think one up for myself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by