Newbie posters homemade incubator *pic*...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ruditchka, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Ruditchka

Ruditchka Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Hi all, Love the site and all the information everyone has to share here! I ordered shipped eggs twice in the last week and hadn't very good luck with handling(although packing wasn't up to snuff either). First shipment was 14 eggs(Delaware/Barred Cochins), 5 were broken/cracked, 2 seem infertile, and the rest are incubating since 3/19. The second shipment came yesterday..., a dozen silkie/buff orpinton...., again 5 broken, but I also bought a dozen "Comet eggs" from a local farm(these eggs are jumo compared to the shipped ones!) that went into the incubator yesterday(3/27). I hatched a few years back in my homemade incubator with 6 of 9 hatching from a local egg source. Anyway, my incubator was made from materials in my garage for free. Its roughly 2'X2' X 4' long(wood bottom/sides. and I use a thick glass door from an old stereo rack component cabinet as the cover. Basically, if you have or can find an old stereo system rack cabinet w/glass door on it, you have just found yourself an incubator with nice see through window! I have a 75watt light for heat and pan with perlite/water mix in it(I used perlite since you can see readily if water is running low.... it turns bright white when drying). To adjust temps I put a divider in box, which can limit heating area better and fine adjust by moving glass top slightly to allow more or less "escape heat". Its a crude set-up but does the job well, and for free, I'm not complaining! I turn by hand right now since my turner is busted but it doesn't take long.... 1 minute. April 9th and 17th are my babies due dates and me and my daughter can't wait to parent these little wonders! I attached picture to show my simple set-up. Its pretty easy to build your own and hatch eggs and humidity is not as important as temperature I've found since I use no humidity scale whatsoever. Just make sure you have your screen a few inches above the water pan and you're good to go. Maybe during hatches you can add some sponges to increase humidity but I hadn't the need to do so. How do I post pictures??? First-timer here! Sorry

2. pepper48_98

pepper48_98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    Tulsa,Ok
    I don't see any pics. Sounds interesting.

3. Ruditchka

Mar 28, 2009
    Not sure if this is going to work for pics but here it goes!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    wow, that IS a simple setup! I have been thinking of building me a home made deal too... and almost forgot my manners here....[​IMG]

5. Ruditchka

Mar 28, 2009
    Divider in box keeps one side cooler and may be just right for ones who've hatched to hang until different start date eggs have also. Once hatch is complete I pull the divider, re-adjust temps lower and use entire box to keep chicks in.

6. jonty

jonty Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2008
    Voßfeld Germany
    Wow! so simple but it works. What is it they say, the simple things in life are the best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by