Newbie preparing to get chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tanyasharon, Jul 13, 2011.

1. tanyasharon

tanyasharon New Egg

Jul 13, 2011
    Hi! I have wanted to raise chickens for many years but my husband wasn't keen on having them in a small backyard. I am now retired, moved to a larger place and he's reconciled to having chickens. I don't have any chickens nor a coop -- yet. I joined the forum hoping to find answers to these questions before I begin: Which breeds do well in Michigan weather? Do I have to heat the coop in winter? If I get a rooster is there anything I need to do differently than having only hens?

I know I'll have lots more questions after I do a search and learn the answers to these. I'm so happy to have found this forum!

Tanya

2. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    Hello from Louisiana [​IMG]
    Not sure I dont have to deal with that cold of weather. But you have came to the right place to find the best answers. All I can say is you might want more than just a few hens per rooster. One of my flocks are two hens and one roo and he tears there back up. But no cant think of anything different you would do.

3. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    [​IMG]
    There is a breed section on here that will tell you which breeds do better in the cold than others.

4. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Not sure about cold weather breeds because we have the opposite problem. . . too much heat. Good luck [​IMG]

5. broodytood

broodytood Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Swampville, Wa!
    [​IMG] Good to have ya!

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

7. Janie1972

Janie1972 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    Hi, I am also from Michigan and Wnew to this site. My husband also did not want chickens, but I finally won, he he. I have heard that there are quite a few good breeds of chickens that do well in the cold. I ended up with Cochins. They are great pets, so far. I LOVE having chickens, but my biggest problem so far is pests. One chicken got eaten/stolen by a raccoon we think and another I barely saved from a huge hawk. Good luck!

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!!

9. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Hi good luck on your journey [​IMG]

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens