Newbie Q's

Leah and peeps

Songster
13 Years
Jun 28, 2009
Canada
Hello,

Well i have just recently found out that we have a rooster in our small flock of 8 chickens. I have caught him trying to mate with some of my SL's.
So i have some questions:

1.) How long does a roo need to mate the same hen for an egg to become fertile?
2.)Can you candle an egg to see if it is fertile the same day you collect it, or is it to early to see any growth.
3.)What am i supposed to be looking for when candling eggs? (what should a fertile egg look like compared to a nonfertile)
4.) How do you candle an egg in the first place!?
tongue.png
- Just noticed the sticky about candling, i will read it
5.) Please correct me if i am wrong, if an egg (that is fertile) has been refridgerated, it will not develop even if you try to hatch it?

I am sure that i will think of some more!
big_smile.png

Thanks

Last edited:
1.) How long does a roo need to mate the same hen for an egg to become fertile? just once.
2.)Can you candle an egg to see if it is fertile the same day you collect it, or is it to early to see any growth. no. like on the 3rd day of incubation you can start to see the chick inside.
3.)What am i supposed to be looking for when candling eggs? (what should a fertile egg look like compared to a nonfertile) a fertile egg will have veins inside after a few days of incubation
4.) How do you candle an egg in the first place!? - Just noticed the sticky about candling, i will read it... use a flashlite and put the egg on it (helps if ur in a dark room
smile.png
)
5.) Please correct me if i am wrong, if an egg (that is fertile) has been refridgerated, it will not develop even if you try to hatch it? i have 8 eggs out of a fridge in the incubator and all are forming and should hatch saturday
smile.png
although they shouldnt be in for more than a week. ( a few of mine have been in for 2 weeks and still formed though)
hope this helps
smile.png
lol.png

Although some development is visible on the third day, "newbies" really should wait until the 10th day to candle an incubating egg,because the development will be much more apparent. I really don't trust my candling skills until then, and I remember how puzzled I was the first few times I tried to candle eggs.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom