Newbie question about Bantams

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jwatts, May 11, 2011.

1. jwatts

jwatts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    This may be a stupid question,but i hear alot about bantam chickens.Do these come in RIR bantam,Barred rock bantams, etc.? or is bantam there own breed?

2. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    Bantam is reference to the overall *SIZE* of the chicken... Many breeds come standard (large) and bantam (small), while other breeds are either / or.

If memory serves (and it doesn't always LOL) I seem to remember reading there are more bantam varieties than standards... but that's counting all the color varieties even within single breeds. The Old English Game bantam has well over 100 color varieties alone (again going by memory, so if I'm wrong someone please *gently* point it out?

Most bantams average 2 pounds or less, while standards can be anywhere from 4-10 pounds depending on the breed (some a bit more some a bit less)

Now the cochin, for example (my favorite)
    - the Large - Cock: 11 lbs, Hen: 8 1/2 lbs.
    - the Bantam - Cock: 30 oz, Hen: 26 oz

Hope that helps...

3. jwatts

Apr 16, 2011
    Are the bantam roosters as loud as a standard rooster?

4. cecilia1959

cecilia1959 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2010
    Much louder and the crow over and over and over...They have a very huge voice in a tiny body...lol:celebrate

5. TheMainException

TheMainException Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Lebanon, PA
    Quote:this depends on the rooster. I had one that never crowed, even when he had his own flock. Then I've had others who were frickin loud and crowed all day long. It really depends on the breed and the chicken.

6. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    My bantam roosters aren't as loud as my standard roosters, but their crow is higher pitched and squeakier, so more annoying.

7. jwatts

Apr 16, 2011
    excellent,thanks for the info

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by