Newbie question about broody silkie

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tykris99, Jan 5, 2009.

1. tykris99

tykris99 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2008
    Harwinton
    I have searched this site and know that silkies are the broody type so my 7.5 month old silkie just went broody on me sitting on my BR eggs. My only rooster is a silkie as well so I know the eggs are infertile. She has not started laying herself, but questions
    1 - does this mean she will lay soon herself
    2 - if she lays and the egg is fertile do I let her sit at this time of year with the new england winters
    thanks ahead for any input this site is wonderful and full of friendly helpful people.

2. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Why do you think they wouldn't be fertile? A silkie rooster will mate anything that lets him including a barred rock! LOL I've not heard of a hen going broody before ever laying. It would be rare but I suppose it could happen. IDK I wouldn't let her hatch anything this time of year. Just wait a few months until the spring arrives. She'll probably go broody again by then. Some do let their birds hatch eggs in the dead of winter but it's really not the best thing to do, especially if she's a first time mom. By the way, she will continue to be broody even if you take the eggs (which I would do if I were you) but SHOULD get off the nest shortly after 21 days. Sometimes, however, they just keep sitting and sitting and sitting. Guess you won't know which category she falls into for 3 more weeks. Best of luck. I love silkies but their constant broodiness drives me nuts!

3. tykris99

tykris99 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2008
    Harwinton
    I can't even imagine my lil roo mating with a my BR but I guess anything is possible. I did take the eggs away today much to her dismay and she remade the nest after I left. thanks for the input

4. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    I agree with birdlover. Silkies are notoriously broody. I just keep taking mine off the nest.
    There was a post earlier about broody hens, you might want to check it out. It was titled "Broody Hen?"

5. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:My partridge silkie, Peppi, went broody at 5 months old and she hadn't even started laying! I would wait until springtime to hatch eggs. Some tips for breaking broodiness is taking her off the nest daily, or putting her in a "probation cage".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by