Newbie question about crested variety chick

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by funnybirds, Nov 3, 2010.

1. funnybirds

funnybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    So my DD and I went to the feed store to pick up more chick crumbles and they have the big tub full of crested "varieties" on sale this week. I wanted to get a Polish the week before, so this time, I could no longer resist. My DD choose a very small, white, 3 week old chick with some budding crest feathers. I checked her/him out for the usual issues and all appeared "normal". (We are keeping her away from the others anyway until the month is up.) Well upon closer inspection my little "Polish" buddy has five toes. Two are connected and look polydactyl. I figure I have a Polish with extra toes. Her legs and feet are a dark slate color. So I look up five toed birds and I think I may have a Silky now. She certainly has the disposition of a silky. Very sweet, and loves to be held. The thing is, she isn't really getting any bigger. She's like a dwarfed mini chicken. So at a 4 H meeting I learn that all Silky’s are bantams. SOOO, my question is: Are Polish, Silky and Sultans chicken always bantams, and what is the difference between a Polish, Sultan and a Silky?
    I will post some pics shortly. She/he really has me baffled.
    PS. I would have gotten another one, but my husband would like me to stop with the 6...

2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    In the US Silkies are bantams only. They're usually easy to pick out of a bin because they have black skin, feathered legs, 5 toes and are usually bearded and crested. They're feathers grow in looking like fur.

Polish can be standard or bantam, they have 4 toes, clean-legged and crests.

I'm not that familar with Sultans, but I believe they come in standard and bantam, they're feather-legged, crested and I'm not sure about their toes.

3. funnybirds

Oct 16, 2010
    Marshmallow the "Crested Variety"
    Female or male?
    Silky or something else?

[​IMG]

Wild toes [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. banjoejoe4783

banjoejoe4783 VILLAMIL FARMS

Oct 6, 2010
    westville ok
    that is a sultan they have 5 toes good looking chick:cool:

5. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

You are the proud owner of a Sultan. [​IMG] That said, they do come in both bantam and standard size.

By now, Silkies would have some of their Silkie-feathering and you could see the black skin.

Edited to add: Too early to tell gender. Cresteds are hard to sex to begin with, not to mention that they are even more of a gamble at such a young age.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  6. funnybirds

Oct 16, 2010
    Cool! A Sultan. Finally some royaly in the family!
    Thanks so much for answering this. On top of her/his wild looking toes, a few are missing toe nails. Is that normal for the breed?

7. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

It could be genetic. Some birds are just not born with toe-nails. They could also have been shed due to her being clumbsy, as some birds lose nails when they're kicking around and being active, but I doubt that. This usually occurs with adults.

I have a Sultan who never grew 1 on one of her feet. I've assumed it was just in the genes. With hatchery birds, who knows what's floating around in the gene-pool? [​IMG]

Good luck. They're very sweet birds.

8. funnybirds

Oct 16, 2010
    Does anybody have any idea what kind of egg producers Sultans are? They are a very elusive breed to get information on....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by