newbie question about ducklings

Candida

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 14, 2009
Leicester, MA
I just received my cayuga ducklings yesterday, and have them in a homemade brooder. They are 5 days old. I have 11 of them but 4 are leaving today for their home. My question is, is it ok to take the water and food out overnight? I took it out last night, then thought better of it and put it back in. needless to say i woke up this morning to wet ducklings who obviously played in the water all night and didnt sleep a wink!
lol.png

after cleaning everything and them all up, they pooped a little and zonked out all morning! The water is now raised up on a block so they cant get their feet in it, which helps, but wherever there is water, even a drop, they are on it!

I just wanted to make sure its ok to take the food and water out every night before i go to bed and put it back in the morning.

39114_ducklings_zonked_out.jpg

Last edited:
What cuties! I suggest you make a waterer out of a milk carton and cut a hole in it big enough for them to get water but not climb in. They're not supposed to swim a lot when they don't have a duck mom. I have never heard of anyone taking out their food and water at night. If they're playing in the water, make sure they have enough blankets. Also, just a tip, newspaper as a flooring can lead to splayed legs, so remove that for a towel. No, I don't have any birds, but I want ducks so bad I have done a lot of reasearch. Good luck!

Quote:
I am using a poultry waterer with the mason jar. I have lifted it off the bottom on the brooder and that seems to be helping a bit. I havent had them swimming at all, they just keep sticking their footsies in the waterer and tracking the excess water all over the brooder!
lol.png

They try to eat the paper towel i was using under the waterer. If I use cotton towels I will be changing it every few hours! They dont seem to be losing their footing at all, so should I really be concerned about splayed legs with the newspaper? the brooder I made is a very large clear plastic tote, and it is not completely flat, so maybe thats helping them with their footing.

So much to learn!!!

Quote:
I love this idea!! the thought of going through towels aweful! I have some shelf liner and I am going to do it now!!! Thanks Wifezilla

Quote:
Yes. Definitely. You can never be too careful. If you really love your ducklings, do what's best for them and put some old towels in there. They can be rags or something like that, as long as it is not something they can easily slip on. Sorry that you'll have to do a lot of laundry, but isn't it worth it for those sweet little babies?
hmm.png

i had a whole roll of shelf liner under the kitchen sink. here are the babies without newspaper! thanks everyone for your suggestions.

39114_new_brooder_bottom.jpg

Thanks for making those changes. They look so much happier! And now I can rest easy. Good luck with your beauties! Keep us notified! Lots of love, catiecutie.

Back
Top Bottom