newbie question about egg storage...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fatguyaz, Sep 5, 2008.

1. fatguyaz

fatguyaz Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hi all, this is my first post, i've been reading the forum soaking in everything i can for last few months. This is our first try at raising chickens and we are LOVING IT. The eggs are great, and they are developing quite the set of personalities! My wife and i have 4 mixed pullets that are just starting to lay (well, two of them are, so far.) Since we're only getting two eggs a day, they are getting eaten pretty fast, but i'm wondering, how long should i be able to keep fresh eggs in the fridge for? I know store bought eggs last several weeks, safely, but i'm not sure if home grown is the same or not. Thanks in advance! You guys are awesome!

Chad

2. hot wing stables

hot wing stables Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    [​IMG] we get several eggs, if you cant get rid of them in about 8 weeks, if you have any naighbors, give them away, but they can last up to 8 weeks [​IMG]

3. fatguyaz

Sep 2, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    that's even better than i expected!! Great news, thanks a ton.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Most eggs you buy in a store are over 2 wks old when you buy them, and they have been refridgerated. I usually keep mine at room temp for about 2 weeks then I pop them in the fridge. Usually they don't get past a week, so I hardly ever refridgerate them. If you plan on hard boiling any, put the ones you plan on boiling in the fridge a few days before you boil them or else the shells will stick to the eggs, or the eggs to shells, however you look at it. I don't wash my eggs until I use them so that I don't wash off the natural protective antibacterial coating the "bloom" off. If you wash the eggs right after you collect them, they will not last as long and you will have to refridgerate them right away.

5. fatguyaz

Sep 2, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    here's something i wondered, also... we've found a few eggs here and there when the girls are out ranging in the yard and we're not sure how old they are... best to get rid of them? I'm in Phx, AZ, so it's in the 100's out during the day but they can't be more than a few days old, as the girls have just started to lay...

6. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    Quote:You can test the freshness of an egg by putting it in cold water. If it sinks it is fresh, if one end rises it is still ok to use, if the whole thing floats then it is rotten and you need to get rid of it without breaking the shell!!

7. fatguyaz

Sep 2, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    that's great to know! Thanks a ton.

Chad

8. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Even though you're only getting two eggs a day it doesn't mean that only two hens are laying. They usually lay an egg every other day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by