Newbie question about mixing breeds

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sundayknight, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Sundayknight

Sundayknight New Egg

Sep 8, 2009
    Hi all, I have been lurking for a while and am getting serious about taking the plunge to start raising chickens. I think this is a great site with a lot of really useful info. I was hoping to start with 3-4 chicks and see how that works out and possibly add another couple at a later date. The max we would want is 5-6. The question I have for tonight is about mixing breeds. If we start with 3, is there any reason for or against getting 3 separate breeds? My daughter wants a australorp, my son wants a easter egger, and the wife wants a buff orpington. I hope i got those all right. Anyway is it ok to get only one of each? or do they all need to be with others of their own kind? I hope this question makes sense. Also if I posted in the wrong area I apologize in advance.
    Thanks in advance , and i'm sure I will have more questions as i try to learn more. [​IMG]

2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Nope, not a problem at all. I love a mixed flock of different breeds and colors and getting all the same type would be really boring! Go ahead and get those chicks! [​IMG]

3. Sundayknight

Sundayknight New Egg

Sep 8, 2009
    Wow, Super fast reply! Thanks a bunch, that will definitely make my kids happy to hear that. They are looking forward to being able to each pick out their own chick.

4. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Go for the mixed breed flock...it's really neat to see all those different colored feathers out in the yard![​IMG]

But try not to get different ages...not more than a few days apart in age. You CAN integrate them, and since you'll have just a few, it may not be too difficult. I have 15 chickens at 3 different ages (18 weeks, 13 weeks and 10 weeks...it's just a bit harder to raise them when they are at different stages.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by