Newbie Question about my broody (I think) Araucana.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LukeandAli, Jan 19, 2012.

1. LukeandAli

LukeandAli Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    Carver, Oregon
    When DH went out this morning to check for eggs, little miss Araucana was setting. I just got back from work and she's still setting. So, I checked under her and she had three eggs under there (one of hers and two other eggs). Is she broody? I took the eggs, so, if she is broody, will she leave the nesting box now that there are no eggs under her? Would it be a safe bet that if I order some eggs she'd hatch them?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

She could be broody, or she could just be thinking about going broody. MOST (not all) full on broodies will growl and kind of puff up when you go to take eggs away - they are very defensive/protective.
    A full on broody will sit on eggs (real or wooden), golf balls, or absolutely nothing (if you take them away). If she's still sitting now (because I see this post is a day/two old), I'd consider fertilized eggs if you can get them fairly quickly. Or if you don't want chicks, you can let her sit or break her of her broodiness. Some hens are easier to break than others.

3. LukeandAli

LukeandAli Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    Carver, Oregon
    Thank you for all the great advice! The day after I took the eggs (which, by the way, she was NOT happy about), she came out of the coop and rejoined the other girls in their pecking about the run. I'm thinking I may order some eggs anyway. I found a lady close to here who will incubate in case the bird isn't broody. I want some baby chicks in time for Easter pix with our (soon-to-be) newborn. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by