Newbie question about my chicken's skin.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by welshbird, Dec 29, 2016.

1. welshbird

welshbird New Egg

Dec 29, 2016
    Henllan, North Wales.
    [​IMG]

Firstly, what a fabulous site this is! I have just found you all and I am so very pleased I have. God bless Google.
    This is not an emergency as my chicken is having no problems and is eating fine but she has just come up to me for a quick cuddle before bedtime and I noticed her feathers were not sitting properly. On closer inspection I found all these pieces of skin underneath her feathers.
    I am a first time chicken mum and I bought all six of my chickens at the beginning of the year when they were around 4 weeks old. They have all started laying (except for Arfon the rooster) and have now dropped down to eggs every other day due to the winter months although Marge (chicken with the issue) hasn't laid for 3 weeks now.
    Any ideas?
    Many thanks in advance and kindest regards,

Joanne.

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Does the hen appear to be molting (losing feathers)? Sometimes, when they're molting, their skin gets kind of flaky.

Otherwise, the flaky skin may be normal for her, or she may have mites/lice. I would probably get some Sevin dust and dust her with it, just to make sure there are no external parasites causing problems.

3. welshbird

welshbird New Egg

Dec 29, 2016
    Henllan, North Wales.
    No feather loss and up to date with treatment for little nasty critters. She must just be a scabby chick. She's not bothered though but I will keep a close eye on her.

Thank you for your help and advice. x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by