Newbie question about number of days!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by youngjedi32002, May 9, 2011.

1. youngjedi32002

youngjedi32002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    East Coast
    This is my first time getting eggs in the mail. They were laid on the day they were shipped, will spend 2 days in Priority Mail, then need a 12-24 hour "rest" period (or so I have read) before going in the incubator. So, do I start my 21 day count on the day they go in the incubator? This is what I think, since I have read that you can start incubating your eggs up to 10 days after they've been laid, as long as you keep them in a relatively warm spot. Any advice, tips, comments since this is my first time! I just built a styrofoam cooler incubator today, I have it up and running and it is doing okay, just running a littler hotter than I would like. A few more holes for ventilation may be necessary but will leave it up and running to tweak it and make sure it is just right by the time the eggs are ready to go in! I am really hoping for feedback so I know I am doing this right! I had two bad goes with local farm eggs. Teeny (3 eggs first time, 4 the second time) incubator, bad seal on the cover, no chicks! This time I have a better incubator (it is a step up anyway), more eggs, and, hopefully, a better shot! I can use any expertise out there! I want to make this work!!!

2. bds613

bds613 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2010
    Texas
    day 1 should be the first day after you set your eggs in the incubator. So, if you set them in the incubator today Monday May 9th then day one would be Tuesday May 10th. [​IMG]

3. youngjedi32002

May 2, 2011
    East Coast
    Thanks! That is what I thought, I'm glad to hear I was right! I am having a terrible time with my incubator now though! It is running hotter than I want. It is staying at 103 no matter how many extra holes I put in the styrofoam! I have punched a dozen pencil sized holes in the base of the styrofoam cooler and I don't want to make any more until I get some feedback. I have put in a piece of tin foil and a larger crock of water because the humidity is staying around 40. Here are some pictures when I made it this afternoon:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. bds613

bds613 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2010
    Texas
    Humidity around 40 is ok for days 1-17. It sounds like you need to turn the thermostat down a lil for the temp or use a lower wattage light bulb

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    An easy way to remember expected hatch date is that it will be the same day of the week as the day you set the eggs, so monday 3 weeks after if you set on a monday.

103 is a little hot..

6. youngjedi32002

May 2, 2011
    East Coast
    I know 103 is too hot! It's really got me troubled! I am trying so hard to get it down! And my humidity is too low! I don't know what to do! I just put in a larger crock of water, thinking maybe the heat will have to work harder to heat the water and make humidity that it won't stay so hot, and I covered the bulb with some tin foil, hoping to deflect it a little. I could use some input. Anyone have any suggestions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by