Newbie question about young roo behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by daisyhead, Sep 11, 2009.

1. daisyhead

daisyhead Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2009
    West Linn, Or
    We brought home the 5 chicks my son's first grade class hatched. They are now about 15 weeks old and we just heard the first roo practicing with his squeaky baby roo voice this morning. We can't have roosters in our city. Based on responses to the pics I posted here a couple weeks ago it looks like we may have a couple more roos in the bunch. We have a friend with a farm that offered to take any roos we end up with. So my question is: Should I move the one identified rooster out now? I'd rather send him off at with any other roos we identify so that they can be together but I don't want his crowing to keep the other ones from doing it. Will his talking keep the others quiet?

thanks!

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Generally, the one that crows first seems to be the most dominate of the group. If you remove him, another would step up to take his place.

3. daisyhead

daisyhead Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2009
    West Linn, Or
    Quote:Thanks, that's kind of what I thought. Guess he'll have to relocate this weekend. I'm sure gonna miss him. He had the best fluffy cheeks and was our favorite of all. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by