(Newbie question) Bump on chick's butt

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bswilson, Jul 18, 2011.

1. bswilson

bswilson New Egg

Jul 18, 2011
    My wife and I recently bought 9 new chicks - our first ever (mostly Rhode Island Reds, with a couple RI "Whites" as well). They seem happy and healthy, but last night we noticed what looked like a pasty butt on one of the chicks, only it's about half an inch ABOVE its butt. We wiped it with a wet paper towel and rubbed it a little bit hoping it would just wash off, but so far no luck. Not sure if this is a growth, an infection, a parasite, or nothing to be worried about.

I'm afraid I don't have a great pic, I'll try to take more at home this evening:

[​IMG]

Thanks for your help!

2. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    Edited because you mean above the butt in the pic not literally [​IMG] sorry. If I'm not mistaken I think it is the umbilical area. Hopefully someone will chime in and help

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  3. Iluvmychickens

Iluvmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I agree looks like its from the umbilical cord to me

4. bswilson

bswilson New Egg

Jul 18, 2011
    I hope that's the case. The chick doesn't seem to be in any pain or discomfort. We'll give it another day or two and see how it goes.

Thanks!

5. Erinmir

Erinmir Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    West Alexander, PA
    I'd have to agree on umbilical. Several of our chicks had them still attached to their bottoms when they first arrived. The quickest lost hers in a few days, the slowest still had hers hanging on for about a week but they eventually went away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by