newbie question!? can you mix species

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kylieshill, Feb 5, 2013.

1. kylieshill

kylieshill Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2013
    Candor,ny
    My husband and I are getting ready to hatch our first couple of duck eggs but out daughter is also getting chicken eggs from 4-h to hatch can we hatch them at the same time in the same incubator if we start the ducks a week ahead of the chicks they should be hatching at the same time!?the temps are the same and everything else I have seen some research that says not to but not sure why if we get them set to hatch at the same time since temp and time frame would be the same ?

2. RWise

RWise Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    I haven't put duck eggs in a bator, but under a hen can be interesting when momma takes the babes to the pond for a drink! Others have done it,,,,

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Yes, you can but duck eggs should be misted and cooled at least once a day. I didnt do this and had 2 out of 5 hatch, but you can always remove the eggs and cool in a carton for 15 min and mist them and return to bator, you dont want to get chicken eggs wet though.... Good luck!

4. kylieshill

Feb 5, 2013
    Candor,ny
    Thank you for the advice I had not seen that they should be cooled but did see the misting thing I will try it and see what happens ! thank you!

5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    YOU WELCOME! Let me know how it goes!! [​IMG]

6. kylieshill

Feb 5, 2013
    Candor,ny
    I definately will

7. kylieshill

Feb 5, 2013
    Candor,ny
    We have malard ducks now and no chickens we need to buy a new incubator to hatch our duck eggs should I get a still air or circulated air and is there a certain kind that is better than others?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by