Newbie Question -Can you sex a Cornish X

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Fowl_Odor002, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Fowl_Odor002

Fowl_Odor002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Mostly Here
    Hello

One of my projects this year involves raising 5 meat birds for Thanksgiving. They are all Cornish Cross.
    But my plans have changed, and I now want to keep one of my meat birds. I would like to keep a rooster and not a hen.

Since they are scheduled to depart for freezer camp at week 7-8, is it possible to identify male vs. female at such an early age?

They will be 5 weeks old this weekend. I think I got these strait run, but I am not sure.

[​IMG]

2. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    CX do not make good pets.

3. jessicayarno

jessicayarno Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    Cornish X are not made to be kept longer than 8-9wks..

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    The roosters will grow bigger than the hens. Other than that, I don't know how you'd sex one 8 weeks old or less.

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    The males will be larger.

6. Renee'

Renee' Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    The males will have a redder comb, they will challenge each other, it's pretty obvious. Mine are only a few weeks old and I can already pick out several roosters. I think that due to their rapid growth they also sexually mature faster too. I can guarantee that at 8 weeks you will have no problem identifying a rooster.

7. TrinityFarms

TrinityFarms Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2011
    I agree, you can tell the roosters apart at 8 weeks or even earlier by their dark red combs and larger wattles. If you're going to keep one you better put it on a restricted feed diet though! I've read a few accounts of people managing to keep some over the winter, but if you feed them too much they won't last long.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Mine were quite obvious at six-seven weeks. Larger, redder comb, thicker legs, larger bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by