Newbie question - coop interior?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by molly d, May 21, 2010.

1. molly d

molly d Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    lawrence, ks
    Hello!

My DBF and I are working on building our first coop for our four sweet girls. The coop is 3x6, and is elevated 3 feet off the ground so the girls will be able to hang out underneath the coop if they want to. The attached run is 9x6. The exterior walls and roof (which will go over the coop and entire run) will be corrugated metal siding we have leftover from building our house last year. The interior walls and coop floor are OSB. DBF and I are having some trouble agreeing on how we should treat the interior of the coop. My main concerns are moisture and odor control, ease of cleaning, and overall comfort for my girls (of course). I want to paint the interior walls with some glossy exterior "oops" paint from Home Depot, and put linoleum on the floor. DBF is on board as far as the linoleum is concerned, but doesn't think we need to bother painting it. My concern is that the OSB will retain moisture and odor if it's not treated or covered somehow. What do you guys think? I've read through about a million coop threads here on BYC and have seen it done both ways. If a few of you would be so kind as to offer your opinion to this newbie chicken mama, I would greatly appreciate it (and so would my chickens)!

THANKS! [​IMG]

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Whatever you decide, make sure your coop is WELL ventilated.

3. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I've done both, and much prefer to have the interior painted a light color.

4. molly d

Apr 28, 2010
    lawrence, ks
    Quote:We plan on having at least one window, and vents at the top, as well, along with the pop door and human door/access panel. Hopefully that will be sufficient!

5. Backyard_Chicken_rancher

Backyard_Chicken_rancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Well if DBF doesn't want to paint it tell him he gets the job of scrubbing down the walls when they poo all over it after a few hours it will stick like cement now for easy cleaning go with the Opps paint but do make it a Light color they tend to peck at bright or dark colors.

6. molly d

Apr 28, 2010
    lawrence, ks
    Quote:I like how you think! Threatening him with poo duty is a good idea. Hopefully that will get the point across [​IMG]

Thanks for the tip on the light color, too. I remember reading that they can't see as well in dark spaces, and so will be less inclined to go into the coop at night if the walls are a dark color. Is that true?

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If you're going to skip something, skip the linoleum not the paint. (Although if the floor will be OSB, linoleum isn't a bad idea *too*).

It is WAY hard to clean poo off unpainted OSB, plus the bright/dark issue others have noted, plus OSB does not deal with wetness very well so you really need paint to protect it from waterer spills and suchlike.

If your DH doesn't want to do it, just do it yourself [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

8. molly d

Apr 28, 2010
    lawrence, ks
    Quote:Thanks, Pat. I appreciate the advice. Looks like I will be doing some painting this weekend [​IMG]

9. Jx2inNC

Jx2inNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Caraway, NC
    I thought about paint but have since put 2 coats of polyurethane and 2 coats of wood waterproofing on the only OSB I have in the coop, which is the floor. In wanting to keep wood color, I think it will do very well, but that is likely up to preference more than anything.

10. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] from Ohio I like your idea of the OSB painted with an exterior White gloss paint. the gloss helps harden the surface, & protect the wood. Since you're starting with a new building, go all out, and paint the floors, 2 coats, minimum.

Last edited: May 21, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by