Newbie Question: Cover the run?

Miaperez

Hatching
May 25, 2018
New Orleans, Louisiana
Hello! I am a city girl that has moved to the country! I have 10 8-week old chickens (5 are spotted Sussex and 5 are red sexlinks and I have no roosters). I am raising chickens for farm eggs! I recently purchased a coop from Tractor Supply (Innovation Pet Big Green Wak in Hen House). It says it can house 18 chickens but I don’t think that’s accurate. I am new to chicken raising and need some insights.

I noticed that one of the spottet Sussex has a patch of feathers missing from her back inbetween her wings. It appears someone is plucking them! Yesterday I noticed the spot is larger. I am thinking the coops is too small. (It measures 9x7x7 with a ramp up to the coop area.) I did check the rest of the flock and everyone looks healthy with no sign of lice, etc. I want to build a quick solution that will let them roam to give them more space during the day. (I also just learned that I need to build a dust bath!) My question is: If I build a fenced in area for them to roam around during the day and lock them in the coop at night, do I need to cover the TOP to protect them during the day? I would love to let them free range but I’m worried that they may wander to the neighbor and be unwelcomed. I’m not sure if I need to worry about day time predators. Forgive my ignorance! I am still learning but I want my chickens to be happy and I am worried they are not right now. All the grass in the coop is gone and I think they are bored and stressed! I want happy chickens! Any feedback is welcomed!!

Yes, cover the top, and yes, there's no way 18 chickens will fit in that coop. Looking at pics of it, I don't think your 10 will be comfortable in there. Chickens will peck eachother if they're in an over crowding situation. I'd get them more space, bigger coop, and fast!
THANK YOU! I am frustrated with myself! I will take take your advice immediately.

Everyone here is so helpful! I just saw a thread about this same coop and how the nesting boxes are too high and the chicks will sleep there. Mine are! That means poopy in the nesting boxes! :( I almost feel like burning this thing and starting over!! Now i need to figure out how to connect a larger run area to this existing coop. The cleaning drawer pulls out the back where I have space for the run so they may have to be separate for now! That should be fun...chasing chickens from the run to put them in the coop at night. I have to find a way to connect the two. Sigh...

Unfortunately, *every* commercial coop vendor seems to use factory farming numbers for chicken capacity. Backyard chicken owners generally want a more humane setup and the actual capacity is about 1/3 what the vendor says. Sucks, but that's how it is.

The common numbers used it 4sqft/chicken in the coop area and 10sqft/chicken in the run area.
I’m learning that this coop might fit FOUR happy chickens at best...18 if you are Sanderson farms!!! I should have researched better!

@Miaperez - Some suggestions for your current coop:
  • You might want to put the entire coop into a larger fenced run area rather then figure out how to join the two. That way, you can easily walk in the larger area and reach everything you need in the coop. Also, the larger run area might still be usable when the cheaply-made coop falls apart in about 2-3 years.
  • Yes, the roosts should be *above* the nesting boxes. Innovation Pets likes to put them at about the same level.
  • I recommend you browse this thread on modifications to the TSC Innovation Pets Deluxe Farm coop which a number of people bought (including myself) at $199 on sale. Some very good ideas and modifications in there.
Thank you so much! Great ideas!! I will definitely take your advice!

Yes, cover the top, and yes, there's no way 18 chickens will fit in that coop. Looking at pics of it, I don't think your 10 will be comfortable in there. Chickens will peck eachother if they're in an over crowding situation. I'd get them more space, bigger coop, and fast!
I erected a huge covered area for them to roam! It took a few hours but I did it! Question: I noticed that one of my red sexlinks was STILL bullying the chicken that is missing the feathers! She was still trying to pluck feathers from the spotted Sussex! Could I have a bully chicken? What do you do in this case??

Hello! I am a city girl that has moved to the country! I have 10 8-week old chickens (5 are spotted Sussex and 5 are red sexlinks and I have no roosters). I am raising chickens for farm eggs! I recently purchased a coop from Tractor Supply (Innovation Pet Big Green Wak in Hen House). It says it can house 18 chickens but I don’t think that’s accurate. I am new to chicken raising and need some insights.

I noticed that one of the spottet Sussex has a patch of feathers missing from her back inbetween her wings. It appears someone is plucking them! Yesterday I noticed the spot is larger. I am thinking the coops is too small. (It measures 9x7x7 with a ramp up to the coop area.) I did check the rest of the flock and everyone looks healthy with no sign of lice, etc. I want to build a quick solution that will let them roam to give them more space during the day. (I also just learned that I need to build a dust bath!) My question is: If I build a fenced in area for them to roam around during the day and lock them in the coop at night, do I need to cover the TOP to protect them during the day? I would love to let them free range but I’m worried that they may wander to the neighbor and be unwelcomed. I’m not sure if I need to worry about day time predators. Forgive my ignorance! I am still learning but I want my chickens to be happy and I am worried they are not right now. All the grass in the coop is gone and I think they are bored and stressed! I want happy chickens! Any feedback is welcomed!!
Yes cover them. :frow :celebrate :goodpost: :welcome

Back
Top Bottom