Newbie question: Does goat shelter have to have dirt floor?

Quote:
They run about $4.50 for a 40lb bag. I put 2 bags in the shed and it lasts me about a month for 2 goats. I was going through it way faster then that but now that I feed the goats outside I save a lot because they aren't in the shed eating and peeing and pooping.

Quote:
Well, I have my eyes set on some of the bigger breeds. My first choice would be Oberhaslis, because I'm from Germany, and they remind me of my "childhood goats", and I love the way they look. But since they seem to be really hard to come by, at least here in Georgia, I'm now looking at Nubians and Alpines. I almost got 2 orphaned wethers recently, but did not act quickly enough, and now they're sold. Oh well. I'm trying to be patient....
fl.gif

So, if i use the stall pellets....can i put them under the straw?...they like the soft straw to sleep on...what do you guys suggest? thanks!

Quote:
You can put whatever you want on top of the pellets. I use hay just because I sell it and it's cheaper and we have a lot of chaf (sp?) leftover. Mine don't ever eat the peep on hay because I make sure they have plenty of fresh hay in their hay net at all times.

Quote:
You can put whatever you want on top of the pellets. I use hay just because I sell it and it's cheaper and we have a lot of chaf (sp?) leftover. Mine don't ever eat the peep on hay because I make sure they have plenty of fresh hay in their hay net at all times.

thanks so much for the help!

We have a wood floor in our kidding pen, but our stalls are all dirt floors that we put hay on. My goat playground is being made of 5/8 cement board, because I don't want to deal with fouled wood. Like many have said here, you can use wood but make sure that you cover it with something that will not soak up urine. Or paint it with a really good oil based enamel paint. I like to get cement and rock for them to walk on as it is what goat feet were made for. You have to trim there hooves and if you don't have some stone or cement for them you may be filing also!

Chris

we have a dirt floor. It can be shoveled all the way down to the dirt and then you start all over again with clean bedding. I have a shed that has a wood floor in it and occasionally pygmies are put in there when it is cold out to kid. I can never get the stink out. The floor will have to be replaced.

Quote:
Would you put the cement board over the wood or instead of the wood? Just to be sure, cement board is what you put behind wood stoves and such, correct?

Back
Top Bottom