Newbie question: Does goat shelter have to have dirt floor?

I think you'll regret anything other than a dirt floor over time.
But I dont see any reason why you couldnt have your "playhouse"
without a floor.
If you have a floor and try to cover it, youre just making a lot of work for yourself, and eventually it WILL get wet and start to stink, and then will need replacing.

Quote:
Would you put the cement board over the wood or instead of the wood? Just to be sure, cement board is what you put behind wood stoves and such, correct?

Right now I am using it instead of wood. This experiment was just started a month ago. I am leaving it exposed to the weather and letting the goats play on it as is. If it holds up through a normal wet spring I will seal it and add some non-slip to the paint. If it works well enough I will put platforms in the stable so the goats can get off the grond to sleep. I will be posting pictures of this next week.... Stay Tuned!

EDIT yep, cement board that you would use near a wood stove or under ceramic tile in a bath room.

Last edited:
Quote:
Would you put the cement board over the wood or instead of the wood? Just to be sure, cement board is what you put behind wood stoves and such, correct?

Right now I am using it instead of wood. This experiment was just started a month ago. I am leaving it exposed to the weather and letting the goats play on it as is. If it holds up through a normal wet spring I will seal it and add some non-slip to the paint. If it works well enough I will put platforms in the stable so the goats can get off the grond to sleep. I will be posting pictures of this next week.... Stay Tuned!

EDIT yep, cement board that you would use near a wood stove or under ceramic tile in a bath room.

Are you using Cement Board or Hardi-backer Board?

Cement board will hold water and becomes very heavy, it will also retain odors. If it is the kind made with mesh on the outside of it (Wonderboard or Dur-rock) it will crumble after being exposed to moisture and wetness. Cement board was not designed to just be... wet. Cement board will tolerate a moderation of wetness, such as a leak or cracked tile/grout line and eventually dry out and will not mold as drywall, green board or wood will.

Sealing with an oil based primer and paint will eventually peel right off the cement board, you could use a concrete paint like you would use on your patio, steps or garage floor. Eventually, this too will flake and peel. Something that will stand a longer test of time and will not flake off the cement board is a product called RedGard it is a waterproofing membrane that you roll on like paint. Goes on Pink and is Red when it is dry. This will not flake as easily and would seep into the porous cement board better than paint. You can get this in the tile supply section of any Home Depot. Lowe's does not carry this brand, but they do carry something similar.

If you are using Hardi-backer board you will probably get a longer life out of it instead of the cement board, again, with prolonged wetness and exposure it will de-laminate. RedGard works just as well on this product.

You would be in like flint if you put a moisture barrier (felt paper) over the wood floor, then the Cement board and then RedGard (2 heavy coats). Over a wood floor with felt paper and RedGard you could get away with using the 1/4" cement board which weighs a ton less and easier to handle.

Just a thought!

Back
Top Bottom