newbie question-hen sitting on eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by aubreyt78, May 8, 2009.

1. aubreyt78

aubreyt78 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2008
    I have a black silkie that has been laying on a few eggs since2sundays ago..........
    She has decided to make a nest below the boxes, and is always sitting on them, she is getting up to eat and drink. It has been now 14 days..............

I have had my bantams for about 1 year now, never had hatched any eggs...Have had alot laid, but have eaten them or tossed, never tried to hatch. Is it safe for me to assume that 1-these eggs are fertilized(I tried candling but I saw nothing and need to try again), 2- if they are fertile, and I do the checking, blood ring, etc). Now what? Do I wait until they hatch, then put them in the incubater? idk...............This is my first attempt and I am lost........I have 23 banties, 14 hens, and 9 roosters!!!!!! can you believe they all get along? I am reading about hatching but I am confused about the initial stage..................

2. EricShane

EricShane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    im sure some of those eggs have to be fertile with having 9 roos - Give her time.. Im sure it would be exciting!

3. Dottie Pratt

Dottie Pratt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Arkansas
    It is so special to go check and find out her babies are here. First time this year I have seen it. I have hatched some but now I think its great to let Mother Nature take its course.

Welcome:welcome

Dottie

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If your black silkie is sitting on the eggs day and night, you do not need an incubator. She will hatch the chicks and raise them for you.

Have you marked the eggs (a black magic marker works well) so you can tell if any of the other hens are laying in that nest? You need to remove any freshly laid eggs daily. Otherwise she may get so many eggs she can't cover them all and they may not hatch.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I agree with Ridgerunner, as usual.
    I've read some pretty interesting articles of late that all insist that hen raised chicks have more "chicken sense" than do brooder raised chicks.

6. aubreyt78

aubreyt78 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2008
    The one thing I am worried about is the "turning" I have not done that-- will they be deformed? but many years ago b4 people did all this work how did they come out ok? Should I not bother?

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The broody hen will turn them. You don't have to.

Let the broody do the work. Hens have been hatching eggs for thousands of years.

8. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Right as usual. And Silkies are known for being likely to be good broodies and mothers, unlike some other breeds where this has largely been bred out of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by