Newbie question: leaving chicks with sitter while out of town

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by teamr10, Jun 17, 2010.

1. teamr10

teamr10 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2010
    Yes, I know. We're awful chicken parents. Are babies are only a week old and we're already planning a trip out of town. Shameful, I know. [​IMG]

Here's the question: My younger brother will be watching our little flock while we are gone. Would it be better to keep them here at home and have him check on them in the evenings, or to have him take the brooder to his house? He leaves for work early in the morning, and I don't think it would work for him to drive to our house to check on them before leaving. They'll have to be alone during working hours as it is, but I think I he would be able to check them more frequently at his house. Anyone have any thoughts to share on the subject?

(additional info: we have one dog, but he'll be camping with us so wouldn't be at home to bother the chicks. My brother has one cat that he inherited with the house. He feeds it and occassionally scratches it's ears, but it is an outdoor cat and won't be inside to bother the chicks.)

Am I crazy for worrying so much, or is that just part of the chicken obsession??

2. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    I have my brooder at a friend's house - long story - anyway, I check on them in the morning on the way to work and in the evening on the way home. They have fresh water and food and the heat lamp is working. That's all they need. If you think it will be more convenient for your brother, take the brooder to him. Understand that this is YOUR hobby. And others don't put as much emphasis on the care that you would.

It's great that he's willing to care for them, but I'd make it as easy and simple as possible for him.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  3. teamr10

teamr10 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2010
    Thanks, and good point. I do want to make it as easy for him as possible, although he's always been very good about taking care of our animals while we're away. Last spring he stayed up all night to deliver a litter of beagle pups for us when I had to be out of town for a school trip and the pups came a few days early. He's a good sport, but you're right... this is our hobby (addiction?), not his! Thanks for the feedback.

I guess I was most concerned about them being left alone all day, but they should be fine with food, water, and the heat lamp. He'll take good care of them in the evenings.

4. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Since they're only a week old, they won't notice a change in environment that an older bird would. I would just haul the brooder and supplies over to the brother's house. Anything to make it easier on someone doing a favor for you would probably be appreciated! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by