Newbie question......might be kind of dumb

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by txreddirtgirl, Jul 21, 2011.

1. txreddirtgirl

txreddirtgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    Decatur, Tx
    but what does molting have to do with egg laying? I mean, do they molt right before they lay? After? At what age? Any info on molting and egg laying will be appreciated! Thanks!

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    They stop laying while they molt. It's their bodies' natural way of taking a rest from egg laying and replenishing their feathers.

3. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    Molting takes so much out of them, somethings got to give. And so egg production drops, grouchiness rises. I believe most molt in the fall, old feathers are replaced w/ new. Newer/better feathers will keep them warm thru winter. Anybody else w/ thoughts?

4. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

good info you 2...thanks [​IMG]

5. txreddirtgirl

txreddirtgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    Decatur, Tx
    Awesome! Makes sense now!! Thanks!

6. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Folks say to start looking for a molt in September, but of course it will vary by location.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I do give my birds higher protein feed when they are molting to help them with growing in their new feathers, the only problem is that they usually don't all molt at the same time and I have had birds molt in the winter. My birds molts usually last about a month. Many times I also add vitamins with electrolytes in their water, especially, when it is hot out. They usually stop laying during their molt but can lay an egg during their molt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by