1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie question on feeding suet blocks in the coop

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by maizey, Nov 10, 2010.

1. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

Was wondering if putting one of those wild bird suet blocks in the coop at night was a good idea for a midnight snack? You know, the ones with all the nuts and seeds and things imbedded in suet. I thought of installing one of those cage feeders inside the coop so they could munch on it at night. Figured it would be a neat and tidy soultion to feed being inside the coop, and a few extra fat and protein calories for the cold winter evenings, though we are in the heart of dixie, so it doesn't get horribly cold for very long. They would come out into the run every day and have thier regular crumbles and a hanful of scratch in the run. They are 7 weeks old and there are 3 of them (barred rocks). Anybody see a negative to this idea?

2. KenLamWV

KenLamWV Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Bridgeport, WV
    Tractor Supply now carries the Purina Flock Block for chickens. Its like a huge suet cake but its compressed feed, grit, seeds and other stuff formulated for birds that free range. I put one in my run for the girls when I am at work and I don't let them out due to hawks in the area at times. The flock block is about the size of a mineral or salt block for livestock. I think it cost about 14 dollars but hopefully it will last a long time. It doesn't have the rendered fat that suet cakes have so it should go for a while. Only time will tell to see if its worth buying another one later.

3. maizey

that seems pretty big for just 3 little chickies... would they be like kids with candy and eat it until they were sick?

4. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Quote:First off chickens roost at first sign of darkness and don't normally come off the roost till morning light and yes they will eat it like candy in lieu of their plain ole boring feed... [​IMG]

5. Ed62

Ed62 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I've read that chickens will not eat until they are sick. Can't say from experience.

Ed

6. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Toast'n Jelly :

[First off chickens roost at first sign of darkness and don't normally come off the roost till morning light and yes they will eat it like candy in lieu of their plain ole boring feed... [​IMG]

This ^
    Chickens will not eat at night once they are on the roost.

In truly cold weather I give my 5 hens a suet block (the wild bird kind) in the morning - outside in their run - and they polish it off during the day.
    I don't do this every day, but I figure once a week they can use the added fat in their diet.​

7. maizey

see i didn't even know they wouldnt eat at night....however, they don't have a roost yet... gonna put one in this weekend. Wasnt sure what age they would want one. They will be 8 weeks this saturday and I noticed them roosting on a branch in their run just today so was gonna put one in. Up till now they have been sleeping in straw (pine) on the bottom of their coop, and figured they might just want a snack but i guess they dont! Thanks guys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by