Newbie--Question on Fowl Pox

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hooverchild, Mar 12, 2012.

1. hooverchild

hooverchild New Egg

Mar 12, 2012
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Hello, I am a newbie in the Chicken world. I purchased 13 full grown birds(12 hens, one rooster) from a gal
    in town who has 400 and was selling off half of her group9she is moving). I didn't know about the avian pox until
    after I purchased them and I noticed the black bumps on their crowns and on some of the legs. The hens are laying pretty well
    and I haven't seen a decrease in egg production, but I have only had them for 7 days. My question is this....
    If a bird has the pox, can they get infected again or is it like humans where we are immune after our pox
    run their course?.

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Welcome to byc. I don't know for sure I'll go search it but I think they can only get it one time.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Let it run its course. They will be immune to that particular type of pox. The eggs are safe to eat, it isnt transmittable to humans.

4. hooverchild

hooverchild New Egg

Mar 12, 2012
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Thank you both, so much. I was hoping that if I let it run it's course that they would
    be okay. Would it be wise of me to still give them a Fowl Pox shot incase there is
    another strain going round or is that a waste of money?

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I wouldnt worry about it, save your money.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by