Newbie question on golf balls

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mk4lh, Oct 6, 2009.

1. mk4lh

mk4lh Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2009
    Swanzey
    I'm a military brat that has lived in the city more than the country and this is my first time raising chickens. So my question is; when I set up the nesting boxes I followed the advice I had read here and put in golf balls to help the hens figure out where to lay. On three different mornings I have found at least one of the golf balls on the floor of the coop. Only about 1/3 of my hens have started laying and I collect the eggs faithfully. I orginally had 2 golf balls per nest and since they started kicking them out I have taken one out of all of them. They haven't kicked any eggs out as of yet. Are they trying to tell me that they don't need the golf balls anymore? [​IMG]

2. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    May be they don't think they have enough room to lay with two golfballs in the egg boxes.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  3. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Or may be they don't like golf balls [​IMG]

4. mk4lh

mk4lh Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2009
    Swanzey
    They had been laying eggs with the golf balls just fine in the beginning. And it only seems to be in the morning that they will kick one out before they've been let out of the coop. (at 7am)

5. obxWaMi

obxWaMi Chillin' With My Peeps

This is a newbie response, so forgive me if I'm totally off base....
    I thought the golf balls were just to give the a nudge in the right direction and that once they began laying where you wanted them to--in the nest boxes--you could do away with the golf balls all together.

==Michelle

6. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    Portage County, Ohio
    It's because the golf balls are round and rollier than eggs. If you watch them in a nest, they sit, readjust, snuggle, shuffle, wiggle etc etc before they are settled -juuuuusssstttt- right to lay an egg. The golf balls are round, so they get moved around more and get rolled out. Now you know why eggs are that odd shape, one end bigger than the other and so wobbly.

7. swimmom

swimmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Carolinas
    Maybe they're telling you they need tiny little chicken clubs and a putting green??

8. boxermom

boxermom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Spencer,IA
    Once everyone has started laying, can you take the golf balls out?

9. WisconsinGardenChick

WisconsinGardenChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Quote:Love it!!!!!

10. centavo71

centavo71 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2009
    Northern Alberta
    So far, my hens have laid in every box except the ones I put a golf ball in! The balls just gotta go! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by