Newbie question! Re:: heat regulation

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by roseymama, Jul 26, 2010.

1. roseymama

roseymama New Egg

Jul 25, 2010
    Hi! I'm getting ready to order my first chicks, and I'm setting up their brooder area.... and I'm wondering about heat regulation. Do I really need a thermometer? Can I just try to judge their comfort level? Sorry for the newbie question!

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I like to use one, just an old outdoor thermometer works to tell me if it's in the range. It is easy to tell by watching the chicks, but I always set up and preheat the brooder before the chicks arrive. That's when the thermometer at chick level is handy.

Good luck with your new chicks and [​IMG]

3. Firearia

Firearia Chillin' With My Peeps

Hmm, I know I didn't use one. I just judged it and all was fine, all twelve live happily out in their coop now. However mine were not shipped in, I picked them up in a box from a farm. I don't know if that makes a difference though. The thermometer is basically just an extra precaution in my opinion.

4. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    we never use more than a 60 wt bulb for our heat lamp. But then the chicks are not exposed to outdoors, either. If the chicks are draft free you can judge them by their behavior. If the cluster under the lamp, need more heat. If they go far from the lamp then it is too hot and you need to raise your lamp. If they seem to kind of scatter around near the lamp and not bunched together then they are comfy.
    Welcome to BYC!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  5. kipper

kipper Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with ranch hand and ozark hen. I keep my brooder in our large bathroom, and start off with an 85 or 100 watt bulb, then raise the bulb and lower wattage as needed to maintain proper heat levels. I always use a red landscaping bulb (reduces pecking) the first few weeks.

It's such a hard thing to advise, each brooder situation is different. If you have the brooder in a warm location, you will need less added heat. Use your judgement and watch the chicks, they will spread out all over if warm enough.

Best of luck to you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by