Newbie Question: using sand in the run

Asriix

Chirping
Jul 5, 2020
Good day!

I live in a place that gets a lot of rain in the spring/early summer. So... my chicken run is a little mushy. We decided to get sand because I’m using it in the coops and I love that it works very well. I just go in and scoop and I’m done.

Plus I’m very fearful of bumble foot and other issues that can come from using other things, Like mulch. I don’t want my chickens to have to suffer in anyway if it’s avoidable. Sand In the run coupled with a chicken tractor for grazing seems like a perfect medium since my birds can’t free range (neighbors dogs)

My question: what type of sand is okay?

The 2 options available to me locally are:
  • Concrete sand
  • Masonry sand
Are either of those safe for chickens?

I really wanted fill or construction sand, but I can’t find anyone local who has it. I live in a very rural place.

Edit: a local woman told me she uses lime in her run, but that didn’t seem right. But I don’t know anything about that. So lime is also an available option?

The sand that is most course will be the best because it won’t get compacted like play sand. I’m not sure out of those two which is courser. I use the construction sand that you find at Lowe’s or Home Depot. I’m sure concrete is probably the courser one but I’m not 100% sure.

So... my chicken run is a little mushy.
So do you have a drainage problem?
Best to fix that first.
Wet sand with poop in it(and you can never get all the poop out) is going to reek.

Plus I’m very fearful of bumble foot and other issues that can come from using other things, Like mulch. I don’t want my chickens to have to suffer in anyway if it’s avoidable.
I have used coarse wood chippings in my run for 5-6 years years with no bumble foot...there's no odor and I never have to 'clean' any poops out.
full

full

So do you have a drainage problem?
No, it just rains a lot and very hard. Storms are pretty intense here when they do happen, no light rains pretty much ever. My run is not covered yet, (partially covered) but I know that to use sand it’ll need to be covered.

What kind of mulch do you use? Do you have to constantly manage it? I’ve read of people going in, flipping and turning it and their chickens getting bumble foot and so on. It stresses me out.

Does a run have to be covered to use mulch?
We have playground mulch available here but it looks so splintery it’s scares me

Good day!

I live in a place that gets a lot of rain in the spring/early summer. So... my chicken run is a little mushy. We decided to get sand because I’m using it in the coops and I love that it works very well. I just go in and scoop and I’m done.

Plus I’m very fearful of bumble foot and other issues that can come from using other things, Like mulch. I don’t want my chickens to have to suffer in anyway if it’s avoidable. Sand In the run coupled with a chicken tractor for grazing seems like a perfect medium since my birds can’t free range (neighbors dogs)

• Concrete sand
  • Masonry sand

I really wanted fill or construction sand, but I can’t find anyone local who has it. I live in a very rural place.

Edit: a local woman told me she uses lime in her run, but that didn’t seem right. But I don’t know anything about that. So lime is also an available option?
I used play sand it works for me

I use wood chips from a tree service. They are free and I renew once a year or so. I have had no bumblefoot. Sand may work for you if your run is covered and no water runs in. If it gets wet it will Smell terrible as aart said. It takes a lot of nitrogen to break down wood chips so they are the best for odor control imo. I do pick up poos daily because I love my compost.

No, it just rains a lot and very hard. Storms are pretty intense here when they do happen, no light rains pretty much ever. My run is not covered yet, (partially covered) but I know that to use sand it’ll need to be covered.

What kind of mulch do you use? Do you have to constantly manage it? I’ve read of people going in, flipping and turning it and their chickens getting bumble foot and so on. It stresses me out.

Does a run have to be covered to use mulch?
We have playground mulch available here but it looks so splintery it’s scares me
Chipped tree trimmings...see pics above.
Not much management, I add some smaller dry plant material once in awhile and more wood chips. I never mix it up, but do spread scratch on the high points then the chickens spread it back out.
My run is has a mesh roof.
There is sharp points, but I've never had any bumblefoot from it.

Good day!

• Concrete sand
  • Masonry sand

Concrete sand. However, sand in the run is really only helpful if you have a covered run to keep the sand dry.

Back
Top Bottom