1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

newbie Question

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Redwolf141, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Redwolf141

Redwolf141 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2016
    Johnstown Pa
    Ok not sure where to ask this......so here it is I am getting 5 chicks and was wondering if it would be ok to get 5 different breeds or 2 of one kind 2 of another and 1 odd ball. I was looking at 1 BSL, 1 Australorp, 1 Barred Rock, 1 Speckled Sussex, and I guess the welsummer is an option also. and my girlfriend wants a silver laced Wyandotte. how are the silver laced for egg laying ......or would I be better to get,,,, 2 barred rocks ,,,,2 speckled Sussex and the silver laced. Any suggestions would be grateful I am struggling trying to decide which combination to get. looking mostly for egg production. Thanks Tom

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  2. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Fore!
    [​IMG]

You should be fine mixing the breeds you mention, mixed flocks are very pretty I think. It's fun to see the differences in feather and egg colors.

You can get into hot water trying to mix breeds that are really "different" such as trying to raise a Polish with dual-purpose birds...that Polish top knot is a target for feather picking.

I've never raised Wyandottes (yet) but there are a lot of threads about them, you can try a Search and see what all comes up.

Have fun and thanks for joining us!

1 person likes this.
  3. Redwolf141

Feb 15, 2016
    Johnstown Pa
    Thanks NorthFlchick....
    U have truly been a big help since I joined the site.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Fore!
    Thank you @Redwolf141 , nice of you to say so. That's really the best part of BYC...everyone shares what they can. I'm hoping you'll share a photo when you get those little peepers!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Tom, Welcome to Backyard chickens. If you and your girlfriend are equally eager for chickens and caring for them etc. I think she should get to pick half the breeds and you the other. If you are able to get them from the same seller and hopefully they where kept together - you would not have the integration problems- that different sources etc. may cause.

6. Redwolf141

Feb 15, 2016
    Johnstown Pa
    thanks Drumstick Diva I think that is,how,we are going to do it we have been discussing it ....we will be raising hem together from day Olds so hopefully it works out right now we are both leaning toward Barred Rocks and that one pretty silver laced wyandotte just can't find much info on how the silver laced ed iso as an egg producer.

7. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Fore!
    Me again, lol!

You can check out the breed reviews, may be something there:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/wyandotte

And there's this chart I've used before:
    http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html

If you're asking if the silver laced lays better/worse than a different colored Wyandotte, that's going to take more looking for. What I gave you is for the breed as a whole.

8. Redwolf141

Feb 15, 2016
    Johnstown Pa
    ......Thank you again ......what I was wondering about the wyandotte was how are they in general for egg laying. Thanks for the Chart I love it.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

10. Redwolf141

Feb 15, 2016
    Johnstown Pa
    Thank you Bantam.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by