Newbie Question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chad, Jul 29, 2007.

1. chad

chad Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2007
    Pittston, Maine
    Hi, all, first post here. My wife Susanna and I are building our little farm here in central Maine. We are raising sheep and laying hens (as well as a batch of broilers per year).

Back on June 29 one of our layers, whom we'd been missing, showed up with ten chicks in tow. We put them in a brooder and now they're feathering out nicely. We want to move them out doors. Can we put these chicks in with our adult layers? Will the adults peck them and hurt them, or leave them be because they're chick?

We currently have only eight layers, the coyotes have had a banner year here in terms of chicken buffet, so the ratio of chicks to adults would be very close. Thanks for any help!

2. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    the other chickens will most deffinately peck them! you could how ever put them outside and seperate them from the adults with chicken wire and such - but 4 weeks is still a bit young. usually people wait until they are same size so that they can protect them selves

3. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Speaking from experience.........I would wait.mine were older than yours..........and when penned in run area...the rooster killed the little ones [​IMG] so.better wait and have them later...........a portable run for them maybe? Wish you luck.....

4. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

OH OH.I forgot to say WELCOME TO BYC You will love it here. Good to have you ![​IMG]

5. chad

chad Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2007
    Pittston, Maine
    Thanks, everybody! We'll follow your good advice.

These chicks are special because they were born after our rooster, Fancy, was killed by a coyote, and too soon for our new rooster, Spike, to have fathered them. So Fancy lives on! and we want to take good care of his legacy.

So thanks again for the helpful and RAPID responses!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by