1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

newbie question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LovinCountryLife, Aug 20, 2010.

1. LovinCountryLife

LovinCountryLife In the Brooder

Mar 31, 2010
    I have tried to search because it is probably somewhere but I had no luck. Can someone tell me how to tell the approx. age of a chicken. I am going to a sale next month and I know alot of time they will sell 1 year old hens but how do I know it is around 1 and not 4? Thanks for your help.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member 9 Years

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I think an older chicken would have a more rounded beak rather than one that comes to a point. A rounded beak would be from all the years pecking etc...Of course it would be the same for a rooster, and by the length of their spurs I'd imagine. I read on here awhile back that another way to tell their age has something to do with their feet or scales...not sure and I dont remember, darn it. You can always ask the owner how many eggs the hen lays in a week's time. Hopefully they'll be truthful to you.

3. Becky1961

Becky1961 In the Brooder

May 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Great question! Thanks for posting. I am also looking to get some more hens, and would like to have an idea of their age.

4. LovinCountryLife

LovinCountryLife In the Brooder

Mar 31, 2010
    Thanks dawg, maybe some others will chime in with some different ways too.[​IMG]

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member 9 Years

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Hah! I knew I'd remember lol! An older hens leg scales will be larger and not smooth, not to be confused with leg scale mites though. Good luck!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  6. briteday

briteday Songster

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    You could do a check of the pelvic bones. If you can get 2 fingers between them they should be laying eggs pretty regularly, maybe not every day, but some. Pick up the bird, turn it upside down in the crook of your elbow, find the vent, move your fingers towards the abdomen (not very far from the vent though) until you find two pointy bones next to each other...those are the pelvic bones. Put your fingers between the points...one finger = no good, 2 fingers or more is and active layer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: