1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. CntryGrlFrmTheCty

CntryGrlFrmTheCty Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2011
    Whittemore, Iowa
    As far as design goes I want to build an A-Frame but what kind of wood and other materials would be best to use for a Florida Climate?

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    What part of Florida are you located in? Do you get a lot of rain? What kind of land will it be on (Pasture, Dirt, Clay, etc? What kind of predators are common?

3. CntryGrlFrmTheCty

Dec 26, 2011
    Whittemore, Iowa
    I live in NorthWest FL, In the panhandle. We get a fair amount of rain and I'm not sure what kind of land it will be yet as we are still in the house hunting phase. As far as predators go we don't really have much of a problem with that, but I would say stray dogs seem to be the biggest problem.

4. nwfl

nwfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Northwest Florida
    there are large Aframe and tractor ideas on web. we use heavy grade plywood, hardware mesh and 4'x4' grating metal for our duck tractors. you will have predators come when you have chickens. our worst experiences have been from neighbors dogs. we keep baited live traps for other animals.

[​IMG]

5. nwfl

nwfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Northwest Florida
    a larger tractor would be good for ducks or chickens

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  6. CntryGrlFrmTheCty

Dec 26, 2011
    Whittemore, Iowa
    Yeah I'll look around online too, I already have ideas of what I want so it makes it a little easier to search around. Thanks for the advice and the pics, they are always helpful. I really like the AFrame you have in that one pic but I want one that I would be able to get into to be able to clean and what-not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by