newbie question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by hmwalatka, Mar 21, 2013.

1. hmwalatka

hmwalatka Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2013
    wheeling,wv
    My chicks are about 3-4 weeks old. I read post about giving "healthy" leftovers as treats. When are they old enough for this??

2. Blue Farm

Blue Farm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2012
    Nebraska
    i wouldnt feed anything but a good chick starter as recommened by manufactor, and grower after that. but others may have a difference of opionion. but i like how they grow and develop by following feed instructions. they will appreciate greens and treats when there laying eggs .

3. tinah

tinah Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2013
    Been feeding mie treats since they were 3 days old, with free choice grit. Sure, we could all survive on power bars alone, but why would we want to?

4. MetallicBlue

MetallicBlue Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2013
    I've been giving leftovers since they were about a week or two old. They are doing just fine as of now. They are about 2 1/2 months right now. Their favorite food seems to be sausage. I think it's pretty funny how much they love the stuff and get mad if we come down to their enclosure without any. They have a fenced in area and coop. I would love to free range, but my dogs would eat them and that wouldn't be good.

5. UnlabeledMama

UnlabeledMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2012
    Western North Carolina
    As long as they have grit or access to find their own - go for it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by