1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

newbie question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kimberley848, Feb 8, 2014.

1. kimberley848

kimberley848 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2014
    So. Cal
    I got my girls last week, 4 pbr @ 10-12 wks old......I was @ the nearest feed store and she said a couple things that confused me a bit. She said the girls can't have leftover/people food, gives liver disease????? Then said my girls shouldnt ever need grit???? I gave them a halfcup of oatmeal with some crumble once earlier in the week, which they really liked, lol. So, am I feeding stuff I shouldnt be? I bought crumble feed from "Chickens Galore", when we picked up the girls. Thanks!

2. crazyfeathers

crazyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    Everyone has an opinion. Research my friend. If you look in the search under treats for chickens it will tell you everything a chicken can and can't eat. Me, my girls get everything under the sun, if we eat it they eat it, except potato peeling and onions. Remember there are no silly questions here at BYC, if you don't ask how will you know. Best of luck with your pullets. Also welcome to BYC!:welcome

3. kimberley848

Jan 8, 2014
    So. Cal
    I just want to make sure they're not too young. I read that after 3-4wks, its ok with stuff like yogurt, oatmeal, fruits.....but they would then need grit. I was planning to share leftovers once they were a little older, with those exceptions you noted.
    This site has been very helpful as we predator proofed the coop after realizing it wasnt safe, but before we got the girls.
    Thanks! :)

4. BellChell123

BellChell123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Well, if what the girl at the store said is true about people food, then the chickens we've been raising for the past 9 years are dead. And they looked pretty lively to me this morning!

We only feed our chickens grit if they are't able to eat any, like a chicken that needs to stay inside (entirely different story) and doesn't have the opportunity to get any, or right now, since our coop stays closed for now, because of the cold, and snow. When they are out, as the chickens scratch and pick food off the ground, they tend to pick up small rocks.

I hope I helped!

P.S. Welcome to Back Yard Chickens!!

5. kimberley848

Jan 8, 2014
    So. Cal
    Thank you BellChell123. That did help, Im in So.Cal, so we dont have a cold weather worry, so my girls are scratching in the run, so I'll assume grit isnt an issue. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by