Newbie-Questions about Egglaying & Feed

bragabit

Songster
10 Years
Mar 26, 2009
Southern Utah
I have 8 hens and a rooster who pulls out the ladies feathers. We put the Rooster in a small pen last night to see if this is going to help anything.

Our flock has a coup with lots of nesting boxes. There is fresh water in the coup and a always available layer mash. The chickens coup is opened every morning and they free range in a fenced 50x80 foot pasture.

Out of 8 chickens we are only getting 4 eggs a day, with the Barred Rock giving us an egg a day (sometimes 2). They hardly ever touch the layer mash, how come??

They lay eggs all through out the day. Is there anyway to influence the time of day that they lay?

Chickens ovulate (produce an egg) every 25-26 hours. So unless your BR is prone to holding eggs internally, not good as they can become eggbound and die, I'd say you must have two brown egglayers. That being said, the reason you may not get an egg every day from every hen is that not every breed are mega egg producers. You don't mention the breeds of your other birds...that info would help us. And the fact that you have some stress going on with the rooster antics may also influence egglaying.

The breeds I have:

5 Easter Eggers--Blue eggs
1 Barred Rock --Brown Eggs
2 Banties (White with Black spots) white eggs

So is it possible that one of the Easter Eggers is throwing out a brown egg?

yes your EE can lay brown eggs. I had some that laid brown and 1 that laid one that looked like baby powder pink.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom