newbie questions about getting started with ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by schellie69, Mar 15, 2011.

1. schellie69

schellie69 Songster

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    !, what breeds are good for a backyard flock
    2. what do you feed baby ducks (similar to chicks)
    3. how soon do you put them in water
    4. Can you put them in the same brooder as chicks
    5, How big of pool would you need for say 4-5 ducks

Those are all the questions I can think of right now. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  2. neverbdone

neverbdone Songster

Dec 9, 2008
    Lake Isabella, CA
    Most of your questions can be asked by browsing around or searching by keyword. That having been said, I will answer with what my experiences are with my ducks (Muscovy's) and chickens.

1-Breeds you like I think depend on what your "backyard" is like. I didn't want alot of noise, and I live in a country area, so I wanted ducks that were large and hearty. I chose Muscovys and they are a great fit.

2-I have used turkey starter grower to raise all my ducks. This has gotten expensive, so I have switched to unmedicated chick starter. The ducks are doing fine. I also make sure they get plenty of greens and I add niacin to their food.

3-You can put them in a water bath a few inches deep at days old, but always supervised. Mine don't get a pool until completely feathered.

4-I have raised them with chicks. When you first put them together, just monitor them to make sure no one is picking on anyone. Ducks, chicks or anything else can start picking on a weak one.

5-Pool for Muscovys is different from others because they don't "like" the water as much as other ducks. Kiddie pool is fine for Muscovys. Answers about the other breeds I'll leave to others. Mine have a 3X5 2' deep pond. Pools or ponds will need to be filtered or cleaned. Again there are many ways to set this up, so I would cruize around BYC a bit before making your decision.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Ducks!

3. *DuckLuvR*

*DuckLuvR* In the Brooder

Feb 24, 2011
    Coweta, Oklahoma
    I'm going to be brooding mine together. Here is my brooder.
    [​IMG]

4. MissusDee

MissusDee Chirping

Feb 7, 2011
    !, what breeds are good for a backyard flock

I like calmer breeds, but I love Mallards and their personalities so I keep those too. You might want to ask do you want birds that don't fly (mallards fly) or birds that lay more eggs (like say Campbells, Buffs, Welsh Harlequins) what colors you like, quiet (Muscovies, Cayuga) etc.
    2. what do you feed baby ducks (similar to chicks) Gamebird/Showbird starter crumbles from Manna Pro
    3. how soon do you put them in water Depending on the temperatures and not before say 2 to 2 1/2 weeks
    4. Can you put them in the same brooder as chicks I never do chicks, but I don't think I would, because Chicks peck
    5, How big of pool would you need for say 4-5 ducks. I have 1 pool right now, and 9 ducks outside, and I would say I need one more.

5. schellie69

schellie69 Songster

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Thanks for the help I have to convince my DH that ducks are a good idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: