Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Koolaid, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Koolaid

Koolaid Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    Vancleave
    Hi everyone,

I got my RIR's (6 hen's and 1 rooster) 3 weeks ago. Breeder said they were 6 months old. We have them in a very spacious coop - watered and fed well. No eggs yet - a guy I know told me that many times when a chicken is moved to a new coop they sometimes go into a "molt" and stop laying for some time. Anyone heard of this? Also, is this constant 90-100 degree heat effecting them as well? They are almost 7 months now - eating good - appearing mostly normal (what's normal for a chicken?- LOL). Looks like I have 5 hens and 2 roosters though but that wouldn't matter would it?..

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Hens do need time to adjust after moving but three weeks seems like time enough. Hot weather can affect them too.
    As can having 2 roos to 5 hens. Overmating can stress them out. Anything that stresses a hen out can affect laying.

3. Koolaid

Jul 11, 2010
    Vancleave
    Yesterday I noticed my rooster (or one of them - I'm pretty sure there are two) puffing up like crazy and chasing everyone around and giving them a peck. What's that all about?

4. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    He wants to be top Dog and wants them to know it. That may be OK for now but if you have 2 roos it will get interesting. My old #1 is now #4

5. Koolaid

Jul 11, 2010
    Vancleave
    Ah, okay - thanks. One of the hens actually stands up to him some. they are too funny to watch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by